|Laboratory||SCT1 – Verona and Vicenza|
|Phone||+39 0444 305457|
Antonio Barberio graduated in Veterinary medicine from the University of Bologna in 1989. In 1990 he attended an internship at the large animal clinic of the University of Zurich (Switzerland). In 1995 he was awarded a Master of science in Veterinary Public health at the University of Parma (Italy). Since 1993 he has worked for the veterinary state laboratory of North-East Italy. Since 2006 he has been head of the Diagnostic Laboratory of the area of Vicenza at IZSVe.
He participated in several research projects funded by the Italian government or by private companies as a team unit leader or scientific project leader in the following areas: mastitis in dairy cattle and goats; Q fever in dairy cattle and goats; calf pathology; health management in cattle livestock breeds at risk of extinction; dairy cow welfare assessments; assessment of antimicrobial drug resistance in dairy cattle; drug residues in milk and dairy products; HACCP in dairy farms and plants; cattle immunology and metabolic diseases.
He has published 100 scientific papers in Italian and international journals.
He is currently carrying out the following research activities at the Diagnostic Laboratory of Vicenza: monitoring the welfare status of calves and heifers in dairy farms located in the Veneto region; network programme “BIONET”: Regional biodiversity network; regional programme on “Management models for cattle livestock with the aim of reducing greenhouse gas emissions and improving the quality of air in barns; development of a mastitis surveillance programme for dairy cattle herds in the North-East of Italy.
He has ongoing scientific collaborations with the University of Padua (dep. MAPS) and the University of Milan.
- Barberio A., Badan M., Busa A., Ceglie L., Capello K., Comin A., Zuliani F., Gioia G., Natale A. (2014). Associazione fra risposta sierologica ed eliminazione di Coxiella burnetii nel latte nella specie bovina. Large Animal Review 2014; 20: 3-8.
- Sali G., Bagnato A., Barberio A., Bertoni G., Brizzi A., Calamari L., Canavesi F., Fantini A., Frigo E., Gnemmi G., Guarneri P., Samorè A., Vincenzoni G. (2013). Gestione clinica della riproduzione bovina, 1a edizione a cura di Giovanni Sali. Edito da Le Point Veterinarie Italie, Milano.
- Stefani A-L, Gottardo F, Contiero B, Bertazzo V, Badan M and Barberio A. (2013) Inflammatory and immune response during transition in dairy cows with intensive lipomobilization. Proceedings of 10th International Veterinary Immunology Symposium, Milan 28th – 1st September 2013, pag. 166.
- De Nardi R., Marchesini G., Stefani A.-L., Barberio A., Andrighetto I., Segato S. (2013) Effect of feeding fine maize particles on the reticular pH, milk yield and composition of dairy cows. Journal of Animal Physiology and Animal Nutrition, DOI: 10.1111/jpn.12099.
- Granato A., Dalvit C., Caldon M., Colamonico R., Barberio A., Mutinelli F. (2013). PRNP gene polymorphism in native Italian sheep breeds undergoing in situ conservation. Small Ruminant Research 113, pag. 323–328.
- Locatelli C., Piepers S., De Vliegher S., Barberio A., Supré K., Scaccabarozzi L., Pisoni G., Bronzo V. (2013). Effect on quarter milk somatic cell count and antimicrobial susceptibility of Staphylococcus rostri causing intramammary infection in dairy water buffaloes. J. Dairy Sci. 96 :1–7.
- Marchesini G., De Nardi R., Gianesella M., Stefani A., Morgante M., Barberio A., Andrighetto I., Segato S. (2013). Effect of induced ruminal acidosis on blood variables in heifers. BMC Veterinary Research, 9:98
- Barberio A., Badan M., Rota N., Vicenzoni G. (2013). Mortalità embrionale da agenti infettivi: diagnosi e controllo. Summa animali da reddito, anno 8, n° 4, pag. 80-85.
- Natale A., Bucci G., Capello K., Barberio A., Tavella A., Nardelli S., Marangon S., Ceglie L. (2012). Old and new diagnostic approaches for the diagnosis of Q fever: correlation among complement fixation test, ELISA and molecular analyses. Comparative Immunology, Microbiology and Infectious Diseases 35 375– 379.
- Barberio A., Badan M., Vicenzoni G. (2009) Diagnosi e controllo della Salmonellosi nelle bovine da latte. Large Animal Review 15: 147 – 152.
- Pattono D, Battaglini L.M., Barberio A., De Castelli L., Valiani A., Varisco G., Scatassa M.L., Davit P., Pazzi M., Civera T. (2009) Presence of synthetic antioxidants in organic and conventional milk. Food Chemistry 115, 285–289.