|Laboratory||SCS2 – Chemistry|
|Phone||+39 049 8084340|
Giancarlo Biancotto is head of the Research, veterinary drugs and residues laboratory of the SCS2 Chemistry at IZSVe. He is graduated in Chemistry and specialized in analytical chemistry. After one year’s experience as a visiting scientist at the McGill University of Montreal (Canada), he started cooperating with IZSVe through scholarships. Hired by IZSVe in 1998, he is now head of the laboratory for the official control of veterinary drugs and their residues in feed and food of animal origin and is involved in several research projects in this field.
He conducts research activities on the development and validation of chemical methods for the analysis of veterinary drugs, growth promoters and mycotoxins in feed and food of animal origin by means of liquid or gas chromatography coupled with mass spectrometry. He also works at the development of alternative methods to detect illegal treatment of farmed animals based on ‘omics’ techniques (proteomics and metabolomics), by means of mass spectrometry combined with multivariate data analysis and at the development of methods for the quantitative analysis of nanoparticles in foods of animal origin.
He is involved in or coordinates the following research projects: metabolomics as a possible approach for screening illicit animal treatments; antibacterial activity of nanoparticles in food preservation; use of silver nanoparticles in the control of salmonella in poultry; development of a microelectronic system to detect illegal treatment of farmed animals; analysis of multiclass and multiresidual and mycotoxins in maize and wheat.
He has ongoing collaborations with: Laboratory of food contaminants and residue analysis –LABERCA, Nantes, France, Prof. B. Le Bizec; University of Padua, Deptartment of Comparative Biomedicine and Food Science, Prof. C. Montesissa; University of Padua, Deptartment of Biomedical Sciences, Dr. G. Arrigoni; Department of Immunotechnology, Lund University, Lund, Sweden, Prof. P. James.
- Cristina C. Jacob, Gaud Dervilly-Pinel, Giancarlo Biancotto, Fabrice Monteau, Bruno Le Bizec, Global urine fingerprinting by LC-ESI(+)-HRMS for better characterization of metabolic pathway disruption upon anabolic practices in bovine, Metabolomics: 2014, doi: 10.1007/s11306-014-0685-3
- Stella R, Arrigoni G, Biancotto G, Krogh M, Vascellari M, Lega F, Pozza G, Angeletti R, Andrighetto I, James P. Confirmation of protein biomarkers of corticosteroids treatment in veal calves sampled under field conditions, J Proteome Res. 2014 Apr 4;13(4):1794-9. doi: 10.1021/pr401193r. Epub 2014 Mar 3.
- Losasso C, Belluco S, Cibin V, Zavagnin P, Mičetić I, Gallocchio F, Zanella M, Bregoli L, Biancotto G, Ricci A. Antibacterial activity of silver nanoparticles: sensitivity of different Salmonella serovars, Frontiers in Microbiology 2014 May 26;5:227. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2014.00227. eCollection 2014
- Cristina C. Jacob, Gaud Dervilly-Pinel, Giancarlo Biancotto, Bruno Le Bizec, Evaluation of specific gravity as normalization strategy for cattle urinary metabolome analysis, Metabolomics: 2013, 9 (5) doi: 10.1007/s11306-013-0604-z Epub 2013 Nov 08
- Lega, L. Contiero, G. Biancotto, R. Angeletti, Determination of thyreostats in muscle and thyroid tissues by QuEChERS extraction and ultra-performance liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry, Food additives and contaminants: Part A, 2013, 30(6), 949-57
- Biancotto, R. Stella, G. Pozza, A. Stefani, F. Lega, R. Angeletti, Sub-therapeutic treatments of bulls with dexamethasone: direct and indirect markers of treatment, Food additives and contaminants: part A, 2013, 30, 430-442
- Vascellari M., Capello, K., Stefani, A., Biancotto, G., Moro, L., Stella, R., Pozza, G. and Mutinelli F., Evaluation of thymus morphology and serum cortisol concentration as indirect biomarkers to detect low-dose dexamethasone illegal treatment in beef cattle, BMC Veterinary Research, 2012, 8, 129
- Stella, G. Biancotto, M. Krogh, R. Angeletti, G. Pozza, M.C. Sorgato, P. James, I. Andrighetto, Protein expression changes in skeletal muscle in response to growth promoter abuse in beef cattle, Journal of Proteome Research, 2011, 10, 2744-2757
- Segato, C. Benetti, R. Angeletti, C. Montesissa and G. Biancotto, Doxycycline and sulfadimethoxine transfer from cross-contaminated feed to chicken tissues, Food additives and contaminants, 2011, 28, 860-868
- Biancotto, L. Contiero. Benetti, M. Callegaris, E. Tibaldi, L. Cerni, M. Francese, Depletion of chloramphenicol in trout after a hypothetic therapeutic treatment Analytica Chimica ACTA, 2009, 637, 173-177