|Laboratory||National reference centre for diseases at the animal/human interface
SCS3 – Diagnostic services, histopathology, parasitology
|Phone||+39 049 8084374|
Gioia Capelli graduated in Veterinary Medicine at the University of Bologna (Italy) and obtained a PhD in Parasitology and parasitic diseases at the University of Bari (Italy). Following research fellowships at the IZSVe and at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at Padua University, she obtained a Diploma from the European Veterinary Parasitology College (EVPC), thus becoming a de facto member.
She was Associate Professor of Veterinary Parasitology at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of Padua, before becoming the Head of the Parasitology and Ecopathology Laboratory at the IZSVe in 2004, where she is also head of the national reference Centre for diseases at the animal/human interface.
Gioia Capelli’s research interests include epidemiology of parasitic diseases with particular emphasis on statistical methods applied to parasitological data, diagnosis of parasitic zoonosis in animals & food and vectors & vector-borne pathogens ecology in north-eastern Italy, focusing on ticks (Anaplasma, Lyme borreliosis, TBE virus), fleas (Rickettsia felis), mosquitoes (West Nile virus and other Flaviviridae, filariae), sandflies (Leishmania).
- Guzzetta G, Poletti P, Montarsi F, Baldacchino F, Capelli G, Rizzoli A, Rosà R, Merler S. Assessing the potential risk of Zika virus epidemics in temperate areas with established Aedes albopictus populations. Euro Surveill. 2016 Apr 14;21(15)
- Montarsi F, Drago A, Martini S, Calzolari M, De Filippo F, Bianchi A, Mazzucato M, Ciocchetta S, Arnoldi D, Baldacchino F, Rizzoli A, Capelli G. Current distribution of the invasive mosquito species, Aedes koreicus [Hulecoeteomyia koreica] in northern Italy. Parasit Vectors. 2015 Dec 1;8:614
- Calzolari M, Pautasso A, Montarsi F, Albieri A, Bellini R, Bonilauri P, Defilippo F, Lelli D, Moreno A, Chiari M, Tamba M, Zanoni M, Varisco G, Bertolini S, Modesto P, Radaelli MC, Iulini B, Prearo M, Ravagnan S, Cazzin S, Mulatti P, Monne I, Bonfanti L, Marangon S, Goffredo M, Savini G, Martini S, Mosca A, Farioli M, Gemma Brenzoni L, Palei M, Russo F, Natalini S, Angelini P, Casalone C, Dottori M, Capelli G. West Nile Virus Surveillance in 2013 via Mosquito Screening in Northern Italy and the Influence of Weather on Virus Circulation. PLoS One. 2015 Oct 21;10(10):e0140915. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0140915. Erratum in: PLoS One. 2015;10(12):e0146436.
- Ravagnan S, Montarsi F, Cazzin S, Porcellato E, Russo F, Palei M, Monne I, Savini G, Marangon S, Barzon L, Capelli G. First report outside Eastern Europe of West Nile virus lineage 2 related to the Volgograd 2007 strain, northeastern Italy, 2014. Parasit Vectors. 2015 Aug 13;8:418. doi: 10.1186/s13071-015-1031-y
- Danesi P, Firacative C, Cogliati M, Otranto D, Capelli G, Meyer W. Multilocus sequence typing (MLST) and M13 PCR fingerprinting revealed heterogeneity amongst Cryptococcus species obtained from Italian veterinary isolates. FEMS Yeast Res. 2014 Sep;14(6):897-909. doi: 10.1111/1567-1364.12178.
- Otranto D, Dantas-Torres F, Giannelli A, Latrofa MS, Cascio A, Cazzin S, Ravagnan S, Montarsi F, Zanzani SA, Manfredi MT, Capelli G. Ticks infesting humans in Italy and associated pathogens. Parasit Vectors. 2014 Jul 14;7:328.
- Cassini R, Mulatti P, Zanardello C, Simonato G, Signorini M, Cazzin S, Tambalo P, Cobianchi M, Pietrobelli M, Capelli G. Retrospective and spatial analysis tools for integrated surveillance of cystic echinococcosis and bovine cysticercosis in hypo-endemic areas. Geospat Health. 2014 May;8(2):509-15.
- Gobbi F, Capelli G, Angheben A, Giobbia M, Conforto M, Franzetti M, Cattelan AM, Raise E, Rovere P, Mulatti P, Montarsi F, Drago A, Barzon L, Napoletano G, Zanella F, Pozza F, Russo F, Rosi P, Palù G, Bisoffi Z; Summer Fever Study Group.. Human and entomological surveillance of West Nile fever, dengue and chikungunya in Veneto Region, Italy, 2010-2012. BMC Infect Dis. 2014 Feb 5;14:60.
- Capelli G, Frangipane di Regalbono A, Simonato G, Cassini R, Cazzin S, Cancrini G, Otranto D, Pietrobelli M. Risk of canine and human exposure to Dirofilaria immitis infected mosquitoes in endemic areas of Italy. Parasit Vectors. 2013 Mar 7;6:60. doi: 10.1186/1756-3305-6-60
- Otranto D, Dantas-Torres F, Brianti E, Traversa D, Petrić D, Genchi C, Capelli G. Vector-borne helminths of dogs and humans in Europe. Parasit Vectors. 2013 Jan 16;6:16.