|Laboratory||SCT4 – Friuli Venezia Giulia|
|Phone||+39 0434 41405|
Gabriella Conedera is currently Director of the Diagnostic Department of the Friuli Venezia Giulia region, which includes the Laboratories of Pordenone and Udine.
She graduated in Veterinary Medicine from the University of Bologna and holds a post-graduate diploma in Veterinary Public Health. In 1981 she started her career at IZS Venezie in the Virology Laboratory of Padua; she then moved to the regional Laboratory of Pordenone, becoming head of the lab in 1989. Since 1999 she has been Director of the Friuli VG region Department. From 2007 to 2011 she has been a lecturer at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of Udine.
Her main research areas include diagnostics, characterization and epidemiology of pathogenic Escherichia coli, particularly Verocytotoxigenic E. coli (VTEC). On this subject she has performed surveys on foods, the environment and different animal species, investigating their role as a reservoir of VTEC. She has been involved in one international and several national research projects. She cooperates with ISS (National Health Institute)-EU-RL E. coli and is in contact with scientists from other countries. She also participated in projects on other subjects: diagnostics of calf enteritis, emerging diseases of wildlife, hygiene of game meat, innovative methods for detecting pathogens in food.
She is responsible for coordination and management of the Diagnostic Laboratories of Pordenone and Udine, which perform microbiological and serological diagnostics of animal diseases and official food controls. Concerning food microbiology, she is particularly involved in VTEC detection and characterization and in FSIS analytical activities, required for food exports to US; she is a member of the Expert Group on FSIS procedures appointed by the Italian Ministry of Health.
She is author of more than 90 publications, including papers in international and national journals, conference proceedings and book chapters. She has given lectures at international and national meetings in particular on VTEC, food safety and foodborne diseases, wildlife and game meat.
She has participated in the scientific organization of national meetings and periodic international conferences of the Alpe-Adria (Carynthia, Slovenia and Friuli Venezia Giulia) Veterinary Institutes
- Conedera G., Ustulin M., Barco L., Bregoli M., Re E., Vio D. Outbreak of atipical Salmonella Choleraesuis in wild boars in North Eastern Italy in Trends in game meat hygiene, Chapter 10 pag 151-159, Wageningen Academic Publisher, 2014, Eds: P. Paulsen, A. Bauer, F.J.M. Smulders.
- Conedera G., Targhetta C., Pierasco A., Ustulin M., Vio D. Risk of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli (STEC) in game meat and meat products in IAFP’s European Symposium on Food Safety, Budapest (H), 7-9 May 2014
- Conedera G., Vio D., Ustulin M., Londero M., Bregoli M., Perosa G., Rigo S., Simonato G., Marangon S., Interisano M., Gomez Morales M. A., Pozio E., Capelli G. Trichinella pseudospiralis in wildboars (Sus scrofa) of the Friuli Venezia Giulia Region in Wiener Klin Wochenschr (Suppl) Parasitological Day 2013, DOI 10.1007/s00508-014-0500-1.
- Conedera G., Pozza G., Ustulin M., Noli A., Ricci A., Sisto D., Brunetta C., Tagliente D., Zambon P., Durigon S., Vio D. High prevalence of Escherichia coli O157 excretion on a dairy cattle farm for unpasteurised milk production in 7th International Symposium on Shiga Toxin-Producing Escherichia coli infections”, Amsterdam (NL), May 6-9, 2012.
- Cibin V., Barucci F., Ricci A., Ferronato A., Pozza G., Ferrè N., Capello K., Dalla Pozza M.C., Ramon E., Longo A., Mioni R., Conedera G. Unpasteurised milk production: a semi-quantitative risk assessment model to classify farms and define control strategies in 22nd International ICFMH Symposium Food Micro 2010, p.257, 30 August-3 September 2010.
- Conedera G., Targhetta C., Bregoli M., Todone D., Fattori U., Noli A., Pasolli C., Vio D., Mazzolini E. Verocytotoxin-producing Escherichia coli O157 in wild animals, Northern Italy” in 7th International Symposium on Shiga Toxin-Producing Escherichia coli infections p. 77-78, Buenos Aires (Argentina), May 10-13, 2009.
- Targhetta C., Mancin M., Conedera G. A Survey of Escherichia coli O157 detection and enumeration in slurries of italian cattle farms in Conference of Pathogenic E. coli Network “Epidemiology and Trasmission of VTEC and other Pathogenic E. coli”, p. 124-128, Stockholm (S), 25-26 september 2008.
- Conedera G., Targhetta C., Gortani C., Frezza A., Vio D., Brunetta C., Tagliente D., Zambon P., Perosa G., Cadamuro G., A Survey of Escherichia coli O157 in traditional cheeses, animals and environment of Summer Alpine pastures in North Eastern Italy, in 21 st International ICFMH Symposium Food Micro 2008, p. 144, Aberdeen (UK), 1-4 september 2008.
- Conedera G, Mattiazzi E, Russo F, Chiesa E, Scorzato I, Grandesso S, Bessegato A, Fioravanti A, Caprioli A. A family outbreak of Escherichia coli O157 haemorrhagic colitis caused by pork meat salami. Epidemiol Infect. 2007 Feb;135(2):311-4.
- Conedera G, Dalvit P, Martini M, Galiero G, Gramaglia M, Goffredo E, Loffredo G, Morabito S, Ottaviani D, Paterlini F, Pezzotti G, Pisanu M, Semprini P, Caprioli A. Verocytotoxin-producing Escherichia coli O157 in minced beef and dairy products in Italy. Int J Food Microbiol. 2004 Oct 1;96(1):67-73.