|Department||SCS8 – Optimization and control of food production|
|Phone||+39 049 8084472|
Roberto Piro graduated in Pharmaceutical chemistry and pharmaceutical technology from the University of Padua (1985), specializing in Nuclear chemistry (1996) and Chemical methodologies for survey and analysis (2001). After research experiences at two pharmaceutical companies (Glaxo now GSK and Fidia), he has been working at the chemistry department at IZSVe since 1991. He then became head of the Chemistry department for food and feed control IZS LER (2003-2013). He is currently head of the Food Chemistry laboratory.
His main research activities concern food / feed composition and safety, investigation of veterinary drug residues, pesticide residues, heavy metals, food additives, nutritional components, shelf life, mycotoxins, allergens. More recently, his research interests have shifted towards untargeted/holistic fingerprinting methodology.
He has participated in 8 projects funded by the Italian Ministry of Health or Agriculture. His research work has led to over 65 scientific papers, 60 minor publications (h-index: 11) and over 35 communications at national and international conferences.
- A simple and reliable liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry method for determination of ochratoxin A in hard cheese. Biancardi A, Piro R, Galaverna G, Dall’Asta C.. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2013 Aug;64(5):632-40
- A simple and reliable liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry method for determination of aflatoxin M1 in milk – Biancardi A, Piro R, Dall’asta C, Galaverna B – Food Additives and Contaminants 2012 – Part A. – Vol. 30 no 2 (2013), 381-388
- Simultaneous determination of lincomycin and five macrolide antibiotics residues in honey by liquid chromatography coupled to electrospray ionization mass spectrometry – C. Benetti, R. Piro, G. Binato, R. Angeletti, G. Biancotto. Food Additives and Contaminants, November 2006; 23(11): 1099–1108
- Main European honey: descriptive sheets- European unifloral honeys – L. Persano Oddo, R. Piro – Apidologie 35 (suppl 1) pp S38-S81 – 2004
- Unauthorised antibiotic treatments in beekeeping: developing and validation of a methods to quantify and confirm tylosin residues in honey using liquid chromatography – tandem mass spectrometric detection – C. Benetti, N. Dainese, G. Biancotto, R. Piro, F. Mutinelli. – Analytica Chimica Acta 520 – 2004 – 87-92
- Honey quality, methods of analysis and international regulatory standards: review of work of International Honey Commission – S. Bogdanov, C. Lüllman, P. Martin, W. Von der Ohe, H. Russmann, G. Vorwohl, L. Persano Oddo, AG. Sabatini, GL. Marcazzan, R. Piro, C. Flamini, M. Morlot, J. Lheritier, R. Borneck, P, Marioleas, A. Tsigouri, J. Kerkvliet, A. Ortiz, T. Ivanov, B. D’Arcy, B. Mossel, P. Vit – Mitt. Gebiete Lebensm. Hyg. – 90 – 1999, 107-125
- The potential of matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry in the quality control of water buffalo mozzarella cheese -R. Angeletti, AM. Gioacchini, R. Seraglia, R. Piro, P. Traldi – J. Mass. Spectrom. 33 (6), 1998, 525-531
- Atomic adsorption spectrometric screening and GC-MS determination of organo tin compounds in marine mussels, an application in sample from the Venetian Lagoon – G. Binato, G. Biancotto, R. Piro, R. Angeletti – Fresenius‘ Journal of Analytical Chemistry 361, 1998, 333-337
- Ion Trap High-performance Liquid Chromatography/Multiple Mass Spectrometry in the determination of b-Agonist in bovine Urines – G. Biancotto, R. Angeletti, R.D.M. Piro, D. Favretto, P. Traldi. – Journal of Mass Spectrometry 32, 1997, 781-784
- Detection of veterinary drug in foodstuff using gel permeation – G. Biancotto, R. Angeletti, R.D.M. Piro.- Analyst 121 1996 229-232