Beato Maria Serena
|Department||SCT3 – Padova and Rovigo. Diagnostics in Animal Health|
|Phone||+39 049 8084461|
Maria Serena Beato is veterinary virologist in charge of the activities related to the diagnosis of viral respiratory diseases of swine. From 2009 to 2013 she has been the coordinator of pathogenesis and vaccine efficacy studies in animal models, and studies to map the antigenic characteristics of AI viruses. In the same period she was also involded in the management of the animal facility at the national and OIE/FAO reference laboratory for avian influenza and Newcastle disease at ZSVe. From 2004 to 2008 she had a research fellow at the national and OIE/FAO reference laboratory for avian influenza and Newcastle disease.
In 2013 she obtained the PhD in Virology at the LSHTM (London, UK). From 2006 to 2008 she attended the postgraduate course in Food Hygiene, University of Bologna. She graduated in Veterinary Medicine, University of Bologna in 2002.
Her research interests pertain swine influenza, swine enteric zoonotic viruses and small ruminant lentiviruses.
She is currently working at the genotyping of small ruminant lentiviruses circulating in the Trentino Alto Adige region, in collaboration with the University of Bern, Institute of virology and immunology and at the implementation and management of the veterinary biobank at IZSVe as part of the OIE Collaborating centre on Veterinary biological biobank.
- A. Laconi, L. Cavicchio, L. Tassoni, G. Cunial, A. Milani, M. Ustulin, G. Di Martino, M. Forzan, M. Campalto, I. Monne, M.S. Beato. (2020). Identification of two divergent swine Noroviruses detected at the slaughterhouse in North East Italy. Porcine Health Management volume 6, Article number: 9.
- Tassoni L, Zamperin G, Schiavon E, Vendramin V, Cavicchio L, Mion M, Tonon FT, Monne I, Beato MS (2019). First whole genome characterization of porcine astrovirus detected in swine faeces in Italy. Vet Ital. 30;55(3):221-229. doi: 10.12834/VetIt.1873.9956.1.
- L. Tassoni, G. Zamperin, I. Monne, M. S. Beato. (2019) Nearly Complete Genome Sequence of a Sapelovirus A Strain Identified in Swine in Italy. Microbiol Resour Announc. 2019 Jul 18;8(29). pii: e00481-19. doi: 10.1128/MRA.00481-19.
- Beato MS., Marcacci M., Schiavon E., Bertocchi L., Di Domenico M., Peserico A., Mion M., Zaccaria G., Cavicchio L., Mangone I., Soranzo E., Patavino .C, Cammà C., Lorusso A. (2018). Identification and genetic characterization of bovine enterovirus by combination of two next generation sequencing platforms. J Virol Meth. 260:21-25.
- Tavella A., Bettini A., Ceol M., Zambotto P., Stifter E., Kusstatscher N., Lombardi R., Nardelli S., -Beato M.S., Capello K., Bertoni G. (2018). Achievements of an eradication programme against caprine arthritis encephalitis virus in South Tyrol, Italy. Vet.Rec. 182(2):51.
- Lelli D., Beato M.S., Cavicchio L., Lavazza A., Chiapponi C., Leopardi S., Baioni L., De Benedictis P., Moreno A. (2016). First identification of mammalian orthoreovirus type 3 in diarrheic pigs in Europe. Virol.J. 13:139-016-0593-4.
- Beato M.S., Tassoni L., Milani A., Salviato A., Di Martino G., Mion M., Bonfanti L., Monne I., Watson S.J., Fusaro A. (2016) Circulation of multiple genotypes of H1N2 viruses in a swine farm in Italy over a two-month period. Vet.Microbiol. 195:25-29.