|Department||Division of epidemiological surveillance
SCS4 – Epidemiology
|Phone||+39 049 8084279|
Stefano Marangon, DVM, is Director of the Division of epidemiological surveillance and the Department of Epidemiology of the Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale delle Venezie. From 2003 to 2017 he has been Director of science of the IZSVe. He’s responsible for supervising and overseeing scientific research and laboratory activities implemented at IZSVe in the field of animal health and welfare, food and feed safety.
He is in charge of planning, coordination and management of laboratory activities as well as coordination of activities focusing on the diagnosis, prevention, control and eradication of the major infectious diseases of animals and the implementation of laboratory controls along the whole production chain of foods of animal origin. During his career he has been head of the Epidemiology Unit at the IZSVe and he has co-ordinated the implementation of animal disease surveillance and monitoring programmes as well as of studies on risk factors for disease introduction and spread.
He has a wide experience in the management of contingency plans of OIE listed diseases (avian influenza, Newcastle disease, foot and mouth disease, classical swine fever, etc.). He is the contact point of the OIE collaborating centre for epidemiology, training and control of emerging avian diseases. As EU, OIE and FAO expert he participated to numerous missions abroad for controlling animal epidemics in: UE Member Countries, Argentina, Belarus, Chile, China, Iran, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Malaysia, Norway, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, South Africa, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine and Vietnam.
From 1982 to date he has authored or co-authored over 450 publications, predominantly on infectious diseases of livestock, including papers published in international refereed journals, papers and abstracts published in the proceedings of conferences, guest editorials and reviews.
- Sartore S., Mulatti P., Trestini S., Lorenzetto M., Gagliazzo L., Marangon S., Bonfanti L. (2018): “The economic implications of sylvatic rabies eradication in Italy”. Zoonoses Public Health, 65(1),147-157. doi: 10.1111/zph.12383.
- Contalbrigo L., Borgo S., Pozza G., Marangon S. (2017):” Data distribution in public veterinary service: health and safety challenges push for context-aware systems”. BMC Vet Res. 2017 Dec 22;13(1):397. doi: 10.1186/s12917-017-1320-0.
- Fusaro A, Monne I, Mulatti P, Zecchin B, Bonfanti L, Ormelli S, Milani A, Cecchettin K, Lemey P, Moreno A, Massi P, Dorotea T, Marangon S, Terregino C. (2017): “Genetic diversity of highly pathogenic avian influenza A (H5N8/H5N5) viruses in Italy in 2016-17 “. Emerg Infect Dis., 15, 23(9). doi: 10.3201/eid2309.170539.
- Mulatti P, Zecchin B, Monne I, Vieira Jt, Dorotea T, Terregino C, Lorenzetto M, Piccolomini Ll, Santi A, Massi P, Bonfanti L, Marangon S. (2017): “H7N7 highly pathogenic avian influenza in poultry farms in Italy in 2016”. Avian Dis., 61(2):261-266. doi: 10.1637/11540-112516-Case.1.
- Pozza G., Borgo S., Oltramari A., Contalbrigo L., Marangon S. (2016): “Information and organization in public health institutes: an ontology-based modeling of the entities in the reception-analysis-report phases”. Journal of Biomedical Semantics, 7(1):51. DOI 10.1186/s13326-016-0095-8
- Mulatti P., Mazzuccato M., Montarsi F., Ciocchetta S., Capelli G., Bonfanti L., Marangon S. (2015): “Retrospective space-time analysis methods to support West Nile virus surveillance activities”, Epidemiol. Infect., 143(1):202-13.
- Mulatti P., Ferguson H.M., Bonfanti L., Montarsi F., Capelli G., Marangon S. (2014): “Determinants of the population growth of the West Nile Virus mosquito vector Culex pipiens in a repeatedly affected area in Italy”, Parasites & Vectors, 15; 7:26. doi:10.1186/1756-3305-7-26
- Comin A., Toft N., Stegeman A., Klinkenberg D., Marangon S. (2013): “Serological diagnosis of avian influenza in poultry: is the haemagglutination inhibition test really the “gold standard”. Influenza Other Respi Viruses, 7(3), 257-64.
- Comin A., Stegeman A., Klinkenberg D., Busani L., Marangon S. (2011): ”Design and results of an intensive monitoring programme for avian influenza during four epidemics in northern Italy“. Zoonoses Public Health, 58, 244–251.
- Capello K., Mulatti P., Comin A., Gagliazzo L., Guberti V., Citterio C., De Benedictis P., Lorenzetto M., Costanzi C., Vio P., Zambotto P., Ferri G., Mutinelli F., Bonfanti L., Marangon S. (2010): “Impact of emergency oral rabies vaccination of foxes in northeastern Italy, 28 December 2009–20 January 2010: preliminary evaluation”. Euro Surveill.2010;15(28):pii=19617. Available online: http://www.eurosurveillance.org/ ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleId=19617