|Laboratory||SCS3 – Diagnostic services, histopathology, parasitology
Experimental veterinary medicine department
National reference laboratory for beekeeping
|Phone||+39 049 8084287|
Franco Mutinelli graduated in Veterinary medicine at the University of Bologna and obtained the Diploma of the European College of Veterinary Pathologists (ECVP) that has been re-confirmed until 2013. He is the director of the Experimental veterinary medicine department. He is responsible for the coordination and the management of the activities of the department, that is composed by three laboratories: Histopathology, that comprises Rabies diagnostics, TSE and Laboratory animal facility; Parasitology and the laboratory for the national reference laboratory for beekeeping. The activities in the field of rabies and beekeeping depends on the role of IZSVe as National reference laboratories in both fields, as a consequence they cover all the Italian territory and imply collaborations with DG-SANCO and the EU reference Laboratories.
His main fields of activity concern histopathological diagnostics in domestic, laboratory, zoo, fur and wild animals, fish pathology, poultry pathology and meat inspection; tumours; neuropathology and transmissible spongiform encephalopathies; honey bee diseases diagnosis and control and regulatory affairs. He is also in charge for the definition of control programmes for infectious diseases and zoonosis and for rabies diagnosis and control.
Franco Mutinelli is responsible for the management of the IZSVe laboratory animal house and the regulation on animals used for scientific purposes.
He is scientific advisor of research projects funded by the Italian Ministry of Health and Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Forestry and he is involved in several national and international research projects too, such as COST ACTION FA0803 “Prevention of honeybee colony losses, COLOSS” (he is member of the Management Committee for Italy); Nolessbees, Eurostars Project E5928: Optimizing a novel, safe and efficient RNA Interference protection strategy for honeybee Nosema disease; Apenet: monitoring and research in apiculture and BeeNet: network for apiculture and environment.
He is involved as lecturer in the Initiative Better Training Safer Food (BTSF) “Animal Health of Bees” (2010-2013) and “Animal diseases diagnosis – Rabies” (2011-2012) of DG Health & Consumer. He is member of the EU Expert Group on varroosis and honey bee diseases.
- Giantin M, Granato A, Baratto C, Marconato L, Vascellari M, Morello EM, Vercelli A, Mutinelli F, Dacasto M. (2014). Global gene expression analysis of canine cutaneous mast cell tumor: could molecular profiling be useful for subtype classification and prognostication? PLoS One. Apr 18;9(4):e95481. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0095481.
- Granato A, Giantin M, Ariani P, Carminato A, Baratto C, Zorzan E, Vascellari M, Bozzato E, Dacasto M, Mutinelli F. (2014). DNA and RNA isolation from canine oncologic formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissues for downstream “-omic” analyses: possible or not? J Vet Diagn Invest. 26(1):117-24. doi: 10.1177/1040638713509378
- Martinello M., Cristofoli C., Gallina A., Mutinelli F. (2014). Easy and rapid method for the quantitative determination of pyrrolizidine alkaloids in honey by ultra performance liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry: an evaluation in commercial honey. Food Control 37, 146-152. DOI: 10.1016/j.foodcont.2013.09.037
- Martinello M., Baggio A., Gallina A., Mutinelli F. (2013). Distribution of sulfathiazole in honey, wax and honeybees and the persistence of residues in treated hives. J Agric Food Chem 61, 9275-9279. DOI: 10.1021/jf4027052
- Fusaro A, Monne I, Salomoni A, Angot A, Trolese M, Ferrè N, Mutinelli F, Holmes EC, Capua I, Lemey P, Cattoli G, De Benedictis P. (2013) The introduction of fox rabies into Italy (2008-2011) was due to two viral genetic groups with distinct phylogeographic patterns. Infect Genet Evol. 2013 Jul;17:202-9. doi: 10.1016/j.meegid.2013.03.051.
- Vascellari M, Giantin M, Capello K, Carminato A, Morello EM, Vercelli A, Granato A, Buracco P, Dacasto M, Mutinelli F. (2013). Expression of Ki67, BCL-2, and COX-2 in canine cutaneous mast cell tumors: association with grading and prognosis. Vet Pathol. 50(1):110-21. doi: 10.1177/0300985812447829
- van der Zee R., Gray A., Holzmann C., Pisa L., Brodschneider R., Chlebo R., Coffey M.F., Kence A., Kristiansen P., Mutinelli F., Bach K. N., NoureddineA., Peterson M., Soroker V., Topolska G., Vejsnæs F., Wilkins S. (2013). Standard survey methodology for estimating colony losses and explanatory risk factors in Apis mellifera. In: The Coloss BeeBook Volume I – Standard methodologies for Apis mellifera research. (Williams G.R., Dietemann V., Ellis J.D. and Neumann P., Eds.). J Apicult Res 52(4), 1-35 Special issue DOI 10.3896/IBRA.184.108.40.206
- Vascellari M, Capello K, Stefani A, Biancotto G, Moro L, Stella R, Pozza G, Mutinelli F. (2012). Evaluation of thymus morphology and serum cortisol concentration as indirect biomarkers to detect low-dose dexamethasone illegal treatment in beef cattle. BMC Vet Res. 8:129. doi: 10.1186/1746-6148-8-129
- van der Zee R., Pisa L., Andonov S., Brodschneider R., Charrière J.D., Chlebo R., Coffey M.F., Crailsheim K., Dahle B., Gajda A., Gray A., Drazic M.M., Higes M., Kauko L., Kence A., Kence M., Kezic N., Kiprijanovska H., Kralj J., Kristiansen P., Martin Hernandez R., Mutinelli F., Nguyen B.K., Otten C., Özkırım A., Pernal S.F., Peterson M., Ramsay G., Santrac V., Soroker V., Topolska G., Uzunov A., Vejsnæs F., Wei S., Wilkins S. (2012). Managed honey bee colony losses in Canada, China, Europe, Israel and Turkey, for the winters of 2008-2009 and 2009–2010. J Apicult Res 51, 100-114. DOI 10.3896/IBRA.220.127.116.11
- Mutinelli F. (2011). The spread of pathogens through trade in honey bees and their products (including queen bees and semen): overview and recent developments. In: The spread of pathogens through international trade (S. MacDiarmid ed.). Rev sci tech Off int Epiz 30, 257-271.