Over the last decade, approximately 75% of the new diseases in humans were caused by pathogens from animals or animal products. Moreover, globalisation has led to an extensive and rapid movement of person and distribution of animals and animal products contributing to the spread of pathogens. This highlights the importance of investigating the role of the animal reservoir in maintaining and spreading such pathogens.
A Veterinary biobank enables the storage of samples useful for cross-species disease surveillance, to investigate cross-species disease transmission through comparative medicine and environmental research. The aim of the IZSVe Biobank is to gather information from diagnostic activity of Reference laboratories. This allows to the collection of relevant samples from the animal reservoir in a longitudinal manner.
The availability of samples correctly stored, identified and traced lead to an intensive research activity and resulted in analysis, publishing and dissemination of important epizoological data to the international scientific community on zoonotic viruses such as avian influenza.
Therefore the IZSVe Biobank stores samples for sharing Knowledge. In this view the IZSVe veterinary biobank as others may be considered as a global public health good.
IZSVe biobank samples
The Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale delle Venezie (IZSVe) biobank has the aim to centrally store biological samples collected through the years by the national and international reference laboratories, e.g. the OIE / FAO reference centre for Avian influenza and Newcastle disease and the FAO reference centre for Rabies.
The IZSVe Veterinary Biobank stores biological material of high quality standards and scientific value collected during animal disease surveillance programs and outbreaks. Each sample is univocally identified, traced and maintained.
You can search the samples stored in the IZSVe Biobanks using the website of the OIE collaborating centre for veterinary biologicals biobank: http://biowarehouse.net
- Beato MS, Xu Y, Long LP, Capua I, Wan XF. Antigenic and genetic evolution of low-pathogenicity avian influenza viruses of subtype H7N3 following heterologous vaccination. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2014 May;21(5):603-12.
- Terregino C, Aldous EW, Heidari A, Fuller CM, De Nardi R, Manvell RJ, Beato MS, Shell WM, Monne I, Brown IH, Alexander DJ, Capua I. Antigenic and genetic analyses of isolate APMV/wigeon/Italy/3920-1/2005 indicate that it represents a new avian paramyxovirus (APMV-12). Arch Virol. 2013 Nov;158(11):2233-43.
- Beato MS, Mancin M, Bertoli E, Buratin A, Terregino C, Capua I. Infectivity of H7 LP and HP influenza viruses at different temperatures and pH and persistence of H7 HP virus in poultry meat at refrigeration temperature. Virology. 2012 Nov 25;433(2):522-7.
- Beato MS, Monne I, Mancin M, Bertoli E, Capua I. A proof-of-principle study to identify suitable vaccine seed candidates to combat introductions of Eurasian lineage H5 and H7 subtype avian influenza viruses. Avian Pathol. 2010 Oct;39(5):375-82.
- Terregino C, Beato MS, Bertoli E, Mancin M, Capua I. Unexpected heat resistance of Italian low-pathogenicity and high-pathogenicity avian influenza A viruses of H7 subtype to prolonged exposure at 37 degrees C. Avian Pathol. 2009 Dec;38(6):519-22.
- Terregino C, Toffan A, Beato MS, De Nardi R, Vascellari M, Meini A, Ortali G, Mancin M, Capua I. Pathogenicity of a QX strain of infectious bronchitis virus in specific pathogen free and commercial broiler chickens, and evaluation of protection induced by a vaccination programme based on the Ma5 and 4/91 serotypes. Avian Pathol. 2008 Oct;37(5):487-93.
Maria Serena Beato
SCT3 – Padova and Rovigo. Diagnostics in animal health
+39 049 8084461
View profile >
VetBioNet is an infrastructure project - funded by the European Commission in the context of Horizon 2020 - that aims to establish and maintain a…
A biobank is a type of biorepository that stores biological samples for their use in research. The Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale delle…
You can read all the news on this topics on this page of the News section of the website: News > News Topics > Veterinary biobank