WOAH Reference Laboratory for Avian Mycoplasmosis (M. gallisepticum and M. synoviae)
The Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale delle Venezie (IZSVe) was designated as WOAH Reference Laboratory for Avian Mycoplasmosis (M. gallisepticum and M. synoviae) in May 2022.
Activities and services
The main activities of the WOAH Reference Laboratory for avian mycoplasmosis (M. gallisepticum and M. synoviae) are:
- Mycoplasma detection in diagnostic samples through culturing and molecular tests;
- species identification and genotyping of gallisepticum and M. synoviae strains through molecular biology methods and gene sequencing;
- evaluation of the minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) on avian mycoplasmas;
- serological evaluation of poultry groups for gallisepticum and M. synoviae.
Mandate and activities of the WOAH Reference Laboratory
- To use, promote and disseminate diagnostic methods validated according to WOAH Standards.
- To recommend the prescribed and alternative tests or vaccines as WOAH Standards.
- To develop reference material in accordance with WOAH requirements, and implement and promote the application of WOAH Standards.
- To store and distribute to national laboratories biological reference products and any other reagents used in the diagnosis and control of the designated pathogens or diseases.
- To develop, standardise and validate according to WOAH Standards new procedures for diagnosis and control of the designated pathogens or diseases.
- To provide diagnostic testing facilities, and, where appropriate, scientific and technical advice on disease control measures to WOAH Member Countries.
- To carry out and/or coordinate scientific and technical studies in collaboration with other laboratories, centres or organisations.
- To collect, process, analyse, publish and disseminate epizootiological data relevant to the designated pathogens or diseases.
- To provide scientific and technical training for personnel from WOAH Member Countries.
- To maintain a system of quality assurance, biosafety and biosecurity relevant for the pathogen and the disease concerned.
- To organise and participate in scientific meetings on behalf of the WOAH.
- To establish and maintain a network with other WOAH Reference Laboratories designated for the same pathogen or disease and organise regular inter-laboratory proficiency testing to ensure comparability of results.
- To organise inter-laboratory proficiency testing with laboratories other than WOAH Reference Laboratories for the same pathogens and diseases to ensure equivalence of results.
- To place expert consultants at the disposal of the WOAH.
Documents & Resources
Phone: +39 045 500285
View profile >
Serology laboratory technicians
Massimo Bottazzari, email@example.com
Veronica Conci , Verdiana Righetti, Giorgia Nai
Marco Bottinelli (IZSVe) appointed vice-chair of the International Research Programme on Comparative Mycoplasmology (IRPCM)
During the 24th Biennial Congress of the International Organization of Mycoplasmology (IOM), held in Osaka (Japan) from 16 th to 20 th July 2023,…
Insects are by far the most common animals on the Earth, with over 1.5 million known species. Besides playing a key role in the health and balance of…
FAO and WOAH have assigned two new international laboratories to IZSVe for zoonotic coronaviruses and avian mycoplasmosis
The Padova-based Institute has been designated as a FAO Reference Centre for Zoonotic Coronaviruses and as a WOAH Reference Laboratory for Avian…
You can read all the news on this topics on this page of the News section of the website: News > News Topics > Avian mycoplasmosis