Research and projects
Here below some information about research activities and collaboration projects of the European Union reference laboratory (EURL) for avian influenza and Newcastle disease.
Main research areas and activities
The main research areas are:
- development of vaccination strategy, evaluation of vaccine efficacy and identification of vaccine candidates against epidemic strains;
- development and validation of innovative diagnostic assay for AI and ND;
- evaluation of the evolutionary dynamics of AI and ND viruses during epidemics;
- pathogenesis studies of AI and ND viruses in birds and mammals.
Additionally, the EURL for avian influenza and Newcastle disease collaborates with international institutions (e.g. UN-FAO, IAEA, EU, EFSA, WHO) for the selection of vaccine candidates, the definition of virus genotype nomenclature and for organizing training activities.
EU funded projects
Over the last five years the EURL for avian influenza and Newcastle disease has been and/or still is involved in the following research projects:
- Arimnet2-Aviamed – AVIAn viral disease prevention and control with plant vaccines for the MEDiterranean area | Website >
- DELTA FLU under H2020-EU.184.108.40.206. – Increasing production efficiency and coping with climate change, while ensuring sustainability and resilience – Dynamics of avian influenza in a changing world | Website >
- ParNewVac – Development of improved vaccines with DIVA and therapeutic properties against two animal paramyxoviruses: the peste de petits ruminantes and Newcastle disease
- FP7-PREDEMICS – Prediction and Prevention of Emerging Zoonotic Viruses with Pandemic Potential using Multidisciplinary Approaches | Website >
- FP7-FLUPIG – Pathogenesis and transmission of influenza in pigs | Website >
- EMIDA Era-Net EpiSeq – Molecular epidemiology of epizootic diseases using next generation sequencing technology
- ANIHWA Era-Net NADIV – Co-circulation of avian influenza and velogenic Newcastle disease viruses – impact on pathogenesis, immune response and disease prevention | Website >
- Participation to the EU Twinning project Mise a niveau des laboratories de l’Institut National de la Medicine Veterinaire aux Standards Europeens et Internationaux (DZ/13/ENP/HE/17 P3a Algeria): between Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale dell’Abruzzo e del Molise G. Caporale (IZSAM) and Institut National de la Médecine Vétérinaire (INMV), Algeria