|Department||SCS6 – Virology|
|Phone||+39 049 8084101|
Alessio Bortolami is a veterinarian working at the Special Virology Laboratory (SCT6 – Virology Department) of the Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale delle Venezie (IZSVe).
He graduated in Veterinary Medicine in 2012 at the University of Padua, where he also obtained a PhD in Veterinary Sciences in 2016. Between 2015 and 2018 he was resident in Veterinary Microbiology at the Department of Veterinary Pathology and Public Health of the University of Liverpool. In 2019 he was Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Microbiologists and in 2020 he obtained a Specialization degree in Animal Health, Breeding and Zootechnical Production at the University of Padua.
Between 2012 and 2015 he worked as a researcher at the SCT3 – Diagnostics in animal health of the IZSVe. In 2018-2019 he worked at the Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale dell’Abruzzo e del Molise (IZSAM). Since 2019 he has been working at the SCS6 – Special Virology and Experimentation of the IZSVe.
His main research interests are the study of the pathogenesis of emerging pathogens through in vivo and in vitro tests, the development of in vitro methods for the characterization of the viral phenotype, the study of the zoonotic potential and transmissibility of emerging influenza viruses through tests in live in animal models, and the study of the vaccine efficacy of new generation vaccines for the prevention of viral diseases affecting domestic poultry.
- Shittu I, Bianco A, Gado D, Mkpuma, Sulaiman, Laleye A, Gobbo F, Bortolami A, Bonfante F, Vakuru C, Meseko C, Fusaro A, Shamaki D, Alabi O, Terregino C, Joannis T (2020) First detection of highly pathogenic H5N6 avian influenza virus on the African continent. Emerging microbes & infections, 9(1), 886-888.
- Mazzetto E, Bortolami A, Fusaro A, Mazzacan E, Maniero S, Vascellari M, Beato MS, Schiavon E, Chiapponi C, Terregino C, Monne I, Bonfante F (2020) Replication of Influenza D Viruses of Bovine and Swine Origin in Ovine Respiratory Explants and Their Attachment to the Respiratory Tract of Bovine, Sheep, Goat, Horse, and Swine. Frontiers in Microbiology, 11, 1136.
- Di Teodoro G, Bortolami A, Teodori L, Leone A, D’Alterio N, Malatesta D, Rosamilia A, Colaianni L, Petrini A, Terregino C, Savini G, Bonfante F, Lorusso A (2019). Replication kinetics and cellular tropism of emerging reoviruses in sheep and swine respiratory ex vivo organ cultures. Veterinary Microbiology 234, 119-127.
- Rage E, Touzani CD, Marusic C, Lico C, Göbel T, Bortolami A, Bonfante F, Salzano AM, Scaloni A, Fellahi S, El Houadfi M, Donini M, Baschieri S (2019). Functional characterization of a plant-produced infectious bursal disease virus antigen fused to the constant region of avian IgY immunoglobulins. Applied microbiology and biotechnology, 103(18), 7491-7504.
- Bortolami A, Zendri F, Maciuca EI, Wattret A, Ellis C, Schmidt V, Pinchbeck G, Timofte D (2019). Diversity, Virulence, and Clinical Significance of Extended-Spectrum β-Lactamase-and pAmpC-Producing Escherichia coli From Companion Animals. Frontiers in microbiology, 10, 1260.
- Bortolami A, Verin R, Chantrey J, Corrò M, Ashpole I, Lopez J, Timofte D. (2017). Characterization of Livestock Associated Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (LA-MRSA) CC398 and mecC-Positive CC130 from Zoo Animals in the UK. Microbial Drug Resistance, August 2017, ahead of print. DOI: 10.1089/mdr.2017.0161
- Bortolami A, Williams NJ, McGowan C, Kelly K, Archer D, Corrò M, Pinchbeck G, Saunders C, Timofte D (2017). Environmental surveillance identifies multiple introductions of MRSA CC398 in an Equine Veterinary Hospital in the UK, 2011-2016. Scientific Reports 7. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-05559-8
- Gillespie A, Bortolami A, Crosby-Durrani H, Verin R (2017). An unusual presentation of actinomycosis in a dairy cow. Veterinary Record Case Reports 5: e000395. doi: 10.1136/vetreccr-2016-000395
- Rota, A., Corrò, M., Drigo, I., Bortolami, A., & Börjesson, S. (2015). Isolation of coagulase-positive staphylococci from bitches’ colostrum and milk and genetic typing of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus pseudintermedius strains. BMC veterinary research, 11(1), 160.
- Bortolami A, Fiore E, Gianesella M, Corrò M, Catania S, Morgante M (2015). Evaluation of the udder health status in subclinical mastitis affected dairy cows through bacteriological culture, somatic cell count and thermographic imaging. Polish journal of veterinary sciences, 18(4), 799-805.