|Structure||SCS4 – Epidemiology, Services and Research in Veterinary Public Health|
|Phone||+39 043 2805612|
Elena Mazzolini works as veterinarian at the SCS4 – Epidemiology laboratory of the Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale delle Venezie, and she is the scientific manager of the Regional Centre for veterinary epidemiology and food safety at the Regione Friuli Venezia Giulia Direzione Centrale Salute since 2013. She has previously been head of the IZSVe peripheral diagnostic laboratory in Udine.
She holds a graduation in Veterinary Medicine (University of Parma, an MSc in Veterinary epidemiology (LSHTM & RVC, London), a post-graduate diploma in Microbiology and Virology (Univeristy of Padova) and one in Diagnosis and prevention of animal diseases (IZS, Brescia, Italy). For the IZSVe she has worked from 1986 to 1989 as researcher, and from 1989 to 1993 as a scientist. From 1993 to 2009, she has been the head of the IZSVe peripheral diagnostic laboratory in Udine and from 2009 to 2013 she has worked as seconded national expert at the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA).
She has past research experience in Mycoplasmology and fish diseases, later on she worked in applied planning and reporting in veterinary surveillance. In EFSA, she dealt with data on antimicrobial resistance, zoonoses and food borne outbreaks at EU level. She is an epidemiologist skilled in design, management, coaching and conducting scientific analyses using methods of project management, statistics, machine learning, data mining, forecasting and data visualization. Able to design, develop and deploy algorithms (in R, SAS, STATA, Microsoft Azure) using clustering, classification and optimization with data, including unstructured data, from PH data. She maintains and challenges her skills in predictive modeling by participating to crowd competitions on data analysis.
She is currently holding the scientific secretariat of the regional working group on food borne diseases. She is the project manager and epidemiologist of two national granted research projects (CCM2015 and RC2014) on antimicrobial resistance and zoonoses in food producing animals. She is member of the regional task force on drug surveillance and in charge scientist for the development and maintenance of the veterinary data collection at regional level. She collaborate with several IZSVe research teams contributing with topics related to epidemiology, data analysis and project management.
Since 1986 she is author/co-author of 127 scientific work including reports, peer reviewed papers, congress proceedings at national and international level.
- Drigo I., Mazzolini E., Bacchin C., Tonon E., Puiatti C., Bano L., Spigaglia P., Barbanti F., Agnoletti F. (2015). Molecular characterization and antimicrobial susceptibility of Clostridium difficile isolated from rabbits raised for meat production. Microbiol. 181(3-4):303-307.
- Mazzolini E., Durisotti M., Palei M. (2015) Gain edge from HACCP data to survey M1 aflatoxin in milk for human consumption. “EFSA’s 2nd Scientific Conference, Shaping the Future of Food Safety, Together. Milan, Italy – 14, 15, 16 October 2015 EXPO Milano 2015.
- Agnoletti F., Mazzolini E., Bacchin C., Bano L., Berto G., Rigoli R., Tonon E., Drigo I, ( 2014). First reporting of methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) ST 398 in industrial rabbit holding and farm related people. Vet. Microbiol. 170 (2014) 172-177
- EFSA (European Food Safety Authority) (2013) , b. Standard sample description ver. 2.0. EFSA journal 2013;11(10):3424 [114 pp.]. doi:10.2903/j.efsa.2013.3424.
- EFSA (European Food Safety Authority), (2013). Technical specifications on harmonised epidemiological indicators for biological hazards to be covered by meat inspection of farmed game. EFSA journal 2013;11(6):3267 [60 pp.]. doi:10.2903/j.efsa.2013.3267
- European Food Safety Authority and European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), Multi-country outbreak of salmonella Stanley infections update 20 September 2012. joint ECDC/EFSA rapid risk assessment
- EFSA – European Food Safety Authority (2010). The community summary report on antimicrobial resistance in zoonotic and indicator bacteria from animals and food in the European union in 2004-2007 EFSA journal 2010; 8(4):1309 [306 pp.]
- Mazzolini E., Beloeil P.A., Makela P., (2010) Antimicrobial resistance in zoonotic and indicator bacteria from animals and food in the European union in 2004–2007. European scientific conference on applied infectious disease epidemiology Lisbon, 11–13 November 2010.