|Department||Specialistic aquatic animal health centre
National reference laboratory for fish, crustacean and mollusc pathology
|Phone||+39 0426 21841|
Giuseppe Arcangeli is a senior veterinary expert with 20 years’ experience in the fields of seafood safety and fish, mollusc and crustacean pathology. Currently he is Director of the national reference laboratory for Fish, mollusc and crustacean diseases and head of the laboratory for Safety of processed seafood at IZSVe.
He routinely performs diagnoses on the main fish, bivalve mollusc and crustacean diseases and implements surveillance plans, and quality risk assessments of products thereof. In coordination with the local veterinary services he supervises supply chain production: harvesting areas, farming areas, depuration centres, wholesale and retail trade and monitoring of health programmes for fish, bivalve molluscs and crustaceans.
He has been the principal investigator of a number research programmes approved by the Italian Ministry of Health: Enteric virus investigations in bivalves; New diagnostic methods in fish and mollusc pathology; Methods to inactivate parasites and enteric viruses in seafood products through high hydrostatic pressure and cooking.
Particular attention has been and still is dedicated to the development of molecular diagnostic methods to control fraud in the sale of seafood. This work led to the creation of a website: ITTIOBASE, where information can be found on the sequence of the characteristic genomic traits of various species of fish consumed in Italy.
He has been engaged in seafood safety activities organized by the Italian Ministry of Health and other public institutions in Slovenia, Bulgaria, Albania, Turkey, Russia and Libya.
He provides support to the Italian Ministry of Health, regional authorities and private farmers in the field of seafood safety, and control and monitoring of health programmes, with a particular focus on bivalve production. For this reason he is frequently involved as an expert and trainer in activities conducted in this field by the European Commission (BTSF, TAIEX, FVO) and Italian Ministry of Health. In 2004-2011 he collaborated with the European Commission in the publication of the European Guideline for microbiological monitoring of shellfish harvesting areas. He is a lecturer at Italian universities for postgraduate courses on the hygiene of fish products.
- De Battisti C., Marciano S., Magnabosco C., Busato S., Arcangeli G. e Cattoli G., 2014, Pyrosequencing as a Tool for Rapid Fish Species Identification and Commercial Fraud Detection, dx.doi.org/10.1021/jf403545m | J. Agric. Food Chem.
- Pretto T., Zambon M., Civettini M., Caburlotto G., Boffo L., Rossetti E. and Arcangeli G., 2014, Massive mortality in Manila clams, Ruditapes philippinarum, farmed in the Lagoon of Venice caused by Perkinsus olseni, Eur. Ass. Fish Pathol., 34(2), 43.
- Suffredini E., Lanni L., Arcangeli G et al., 2014, Assessment of viral contamination of bivalve molluscs in Italy: qualitative and quantitative data, Int.J.Food Microbiol, 184, 21-26.
- Toffan A., Brutti A., De Pasquale A., Cappellozza E., Pascoli F., Cigarini M., Di Rocco M., Terregino C. and Arcangeli G., 2014, The effectiveness of domestic cook on inactivation of murine norovirus in experimentally infected Manila clams (Ruditapes philippinarum), J Appl Microbiol, 116(1),191-198.
- Pavoni E., Consoli M., Suffredini E., Arcangeli G., Serracca L., Battistini R., Rossini I., Croci L., a Losio M., 2013, Noroviruses in Seafood:A 9-Year Monitoring in Italy, Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, 10 (6), 1-7.
- Toffan A., Brutti A., De Pasquale A., Cappellozza E., Pascoli F., Cigarini M., Di Rocco M., Terregino C. and Arcangeli G., 2013, The effectiveness of domestic cook on inactivation of murine norovirus in experimentally infected Manila clams (Ruditapes philippinarum), J Appl Microbiol, 115 (4), 1-6, online : DOI: 10.1111/jam.12346.
- Effect of high hydrostatic pressure on murine norovirus in Manila clams, G. Arcangeli, C. Terregino, P. De Benedictis, B. Zecchin, A. Manfrin, E. Rossetti, C. Magnabosco, M. Mancin and A. Brutti, 2012, Letters in Applied Microbiology 54, 325–329.
- Listeria monocytogenes in Ready-to-Eat Seafood and Potential Hazards for the Consumers, Gambarin P., Magnabosco C., Losio M., Pavoni E., Gattuso A., Arcangeli G. and Favretti M., 2012, , International Journal of Microbiology , Vol.2012, Article ID 497635, 10 pages doi:10.1155/2012/497635.
- Survival of Hepatitis A virus in pasteurized Manila clams , E. Cappellozza, G. Arcangeli, M. Rosteghin, Sulaj Kapllan, C. Magnabosco, E. Bertoli and C. Terregino, 2012, Italian J Food Science, 3, Vol. 24, 247-253.
- Suffredini E., Magnabosco C., Civettini M., Rossetti E., Arcangeli G. and Croci L., 2012, Norovirus contamination in different shellfish species harvested in the same production areas, Journal of Applied Microbiology, 113, 686—692.