|Department||SCS1 – Risk analysis and public health surveillance
Food safety department
National / OIE reference laboratory for salmonellosis
|Phone||+39 049 80842896|
Antonia Ricci is the director of the Food safety department and SCS1 – Risk analysis and public health surveillance, which includes the following laboratories: Official controls, Biofood platform, Foodborne pathogens and antimicrobial resistance, risk analysis. She is the director of the national and OIE Reference laboratory for salmonellosis. She is member of the Biohaz panel of the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA). She graduated in Veterinary medicine and specialized in Food hygiene.
Her research activites is focused on epidemiological methods in food safety; risk assessment; innovative molecular methods for foodborne pathogen detection and characterization; Salmonella and Campylobacter monitoring and control at regional and national level; antimicrobial resistance.
She is coordinator or workpackage coordinator of the following national research projects funded by the Italian Ministry of Health: RF-2010-2317095 “Assessing antibiotic resistance in nonpathogenic food-related bacteria: the impact on human gut microbiota; RF-2009-1504288 “Evaluation of the safety and efficacy of bacteriocins as a strategy to control Campylobacter in the poultry chain”; RC IZSVe 09-10 “Source attribution of human salmonellosis caused by Salmonella Typhimurium and its monophasic variant S. 4,5,12:i:-”; RC IZSVe 10-10 “Evaluation of the relationship between the antimicrobial resistance profile in commensal bacteria and the use of antimicrobials in dairy farms.
At an international level, she is involved in the following projects: Safehouse: “Analysis and control of egg contamination by Salmonella and other zoonotic pathogens after moving laying hens to enriched cages and alternative housing systems” (completed); SafeOrganic: “Restrictive use of antibiotics in organic animal farming – a potential for safer, high quality products with less antibiotic resistant bacteria” (ongoing); Usefulness of Escherichia coli and Enterobacteriaceae as Process Hygiene Criteria in poultry, funded by EFSA (CFT/EFSA/BIOHAZ/2012/03) (coordinated by IZSVe).
- Lettini A., Saccardin C., Ramon E., Longo A., Cortini E., Dalla Pozza M.C, Barco L., Guerra B, Luzzi I., Ricci A. Characterization of an unsual Salmonella phage type: DT7a report of a foodborne outbreak of salmonellosis. International Journal of Food Microbiology Volume 189, 17 October 2014, Pages 11–17 doi: 10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2014.07.021
- Losasso, C., Belluco, S., Cibin, V., Zavagnin, P., Micetic, I, Gallocchio, F.,Zanella, M., Bregoli, L., Biancotto, G., Ricci, A. Antibacterial activity of silver nanoparticles: sensitivity of different Salmonella serovars Front.Microbiol., 26 May 2014, doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2014.00227
- Losasso C., Cappa V., Cibin V., Mantovani C., Costa N., Faccio E., Andrighetto I., Ricci A. Food safety and hygiene lessons in the primary school:implications for risk-reduction behaviors. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2014 Jan;11(1):68-74. doi: 10.1089/fpd.2013.1598.
- Bellucco S., Losasso C., Maggioletti M., Alonzi C. C., Paoletti G.M., Ricci A. (2013) Edible Insects in Food Safety and Nutritional Perspective: A Critical Rewiew in Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety vol. 12, 2013, pp. 296-313
- Barco L., Barrucci F., Olsen J.E., Ricci A. (2013) Salmonella source attribution based on microbial subtyping. International Journal of Food Microbiology 2013 May 15;163(2-3):193-203. doi:10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2013.03.005. Epub 2013 Mar 16
- Losasso C., Cappa V., Cibin V., Mantovani C., Costa N., Faccio E., Andrighetto I., Ricci A., (2013) Food Safety and Hygiene Lessons in The Primary School: Implications for Risk-Reduction Behaviors Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, DOI: 10.1089/fpd.2013.1598
- Losasso C., Cibin V., Cappa V., Roccato A., Vanzo A., Andrighetto I., Ricci A. (2012) Food safety and nutrition: improving consumers behaviour. Food Control. 2012; 26: 252-258
- Barco L., Mancin M., Ruffa M., Saccardin C., Minorello C., Zavagnin P., Lettini A.A. Olsen J.E., Ricci A. Application of Random Forest method to analyse epidemiological and phenotypic characteristics of Salmonella 4,,12:i:- and Salmonella Typhimurium strains. Zoonoses Public Health. 2012 May 15. doi: 10.1111/j.1863-2378.2012.01487.x.
- Barco L., Lettini A.A., Ramon E., Longo A., Saccardin C., Pozza M.C., Ricci A. (2011) A rapid and sensitive method to identify and differentiate Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium and Salmonella enterica serotype 4,,12:i:- by combining traditional serotyping and multiplex polymerase chain reaction Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, June 8(6), pagg. 741-743
- Barco L., Lettini A.A., Dalla Pozza M.C., Ramon E., Fasolato M., and Ricci A. (2010) Floroquinolone Resistance Detection in Campylobacter coli and Campylobacter jejuni by Luminex xMAPTM Technology, FoodBorne Pathogens and Disease, Volume 7, Number 9, pag.1039