|Department||Specialistic Aquatic Animal Health Centre
National Reference Centre for Fish, Crustacean and Mollusc Pathology
|Phone||+39 049 8084281 / +39 0426 21811|
Giuseppe Arcangeli is a senior veterinary expert with 20 years’ experience in the fields of seafood safety and fish, mollusc and crustacean pathology. Currently he is Director of the Aquatic Animal Health and Seafood Safety Centre of the IZSVe, that inclueds the Italian National reference laboratory for Fish, mollusc and crustacean diseases.
He routinely performs diagnoses on the main fish, bivalve mollusc and crustacean diseases and implements surveillance plans, and quality risk assessments of products thereof. In coordination with the local veterinary services he supervises supply chain production: harvesting areas, farming areas, depuration centres, wholesale and retail trade and monitoring of health programmes for fish, bivalve molluscs and crustaceans.
He has been the principal investigator of a number research programmes approved by the Italian Ministry of Health: Enteric virus investigations in bivalves; New diagnostic methods in fish and mollusc pathology; Methods to inactivate parasites and enteric viruses in seafood products through high hydrostatic pressure and cooking.
Particular attention has been and still is dedicated to the development of molecular diagnostic methods to control fraud in the sale of seafood. This work led to the creation of a website: ITTIOBASE, where information can be found on the sequence of the characteristic genomic traits of various species of fish consumed in Italy.
He has been engaged in seafood safety activities organized by the Italian Ministry of Health and other public institutions in Slovenia, Bulgaria, Albania, Turkey, Russia and Libya.
He provides support to the Italian Ministry of Health, regional authorities and private farmers in the field of seafood safety, and control and monitoring of health programmes, with a particular focus on bivalve production. For this reason he is frequently involved as an expert and trainer in activities conducted in this field by the European Commission (BTSF, TAIEX, FVO) and Italian Ministry of Health. In 2004-2011 he collaborated with the European Commission in the publication of the European Guideline for microbiological monitoring of shellfish harvesting areas. He is a lecturer at Italian universities for postgraduate courses on the hygiene of fish products.
- Microbiological and Histological Analysis for the Evaluation of Farmed Mussels (Mytilus galloprovincialis) Health Status, in Coastal Areas of Italy, 2020, Battistini R., Varello K., Listorti V., Zambon M., Arcangeli G., Bozzetta E., Francese D.R., Ercolini C. and Serracca L., Pathogens, 9, 395, doi:10.3390/pathogens9050395.
- First occurrence of tetrodotoxins in bivalve mollusks from Northern Adriatic Sea (Italy), 2020, Bordin P., Dall’Ara S.,Tartaglione L., Antonelli P., Calfapietra A.,Varriale F., Guiatti D., Milandri A., Dell’Aversano C., Arcangeli G., Barco L., Food Control 120- 107510.
- Bioaccumulation and in vivo formation of titanium dioxide nanoparticles in edible mussels, 2020, Gallocchio F.,Biancotto G., Moressa A., Pascoli F.,Pretto T., Toffan A., Arcangeli G., Montesi F., Peters R. and Ricci A., Food Chemistry,
- Preliminary multi analytical approach to address geographic traceability at the intraspecific level in Scombridae family, 2020, Rampazzo F., Tosi F., Tedeschi P., Gion C., Arcangeli G., Brandolini V., Giovanardi O., Maietti A. e Berto D., Isotopes In Environmental And Health Studies, published on line 26 march 2020, https://doi.org/10.1080/10256016.2020.1739671.
- Development and validation of a specific real time PCR for the detection of the parasite Perkinsus olseni, 2020, Ríos R.., Aranguren R.., Gastaldelli M., Arcangeli G., Novoa B.., Figueras A., Journal of Invertebrate Pathology, 169, 107301.
- Host-microbiota interactions shed light on mortality events in the striped venus clam Chamelea gallina, 2019, Milan M, Smits M, Dalla Rovere G, Iori S, Zampieri A, Carraro L, Martino C, Papetti C, Ianni A, Ferri N, Iannaccone M, Patarnello T, Brunetta R, Ciofi C, Grotta L, Arcangeli G, Bargelloni L, Cardazzo B, Martino G., Mol Ecol.2019 Sep 4. doi: 10.1111/mec.15227.
- Survey, characterization and antimicrobial susceptibility of Clostridium difficile from marine bivalve shellfish of North Adriatic Sea, 2019, Agnoletti F., Arcangeli G., Barbanti F., Barco L., Brunetta R., Cocchi M., Conedera G., D’Este L., Drigo I., Spigaglia P., Mazzolini E., Journal of Food Microbiology, 298, 74-80.
- Titanium dioxide nanoparticles and edible mussels: a potential consumers’ exposure to nanoparticles ?, Gallocchio F., Biancotto G. , Moressa A., Arcangeli G., Toffan A., Pascoli F. and Ricci A., 2018, Proceedings Efsa journal, pg. 126, Efsa Conference, Science, Food, Society, 18 september, Parma.
- Identification of a newly described OsHV-1 μvar from the North Adriatic Sea (Italy), 2018, Abbadi M., Zamperin G., Gastaldelli M., Pascoli F., Rosani U., Milani A., Schivo A., Rossetti E., Turolla E., Gennari L., Toffan A., Arcangeli G. and Venier P., J. General Virology, DOI 10.1099/jgv.0.001042.
- Assessing the health status of farmed mussels (Mytilus galloprovincialis) through histological, microbiological and biomarker analyses, 2018, Matozzo V., Ercolini C., Serracca L., Battistini R., Rossini I., Granato G., Quaglieri E., Perolo A., Finos L., Arcangeli G., Bertotto D., Radaelli G., Chollet B., Arzul I., Quaglio F., Journal of Invertebrate Pathology 153, 165–179.F