|Role||Director (ad interim)|
|Department||SCT2 – Treviso, Belluno and Venezia|
|Phone||+39 0422 302302|
Luca Bano is director ad interim of the SCT2 – Treviso, Belluno and Venezia. He graduated in Veterinary Medicine (2000, University of Bologna) and then obtained a Postgraduate degree in Avian, rabbit and wildlife pathology (2005, University of Milan) and PhD in Veterinary Hygiene and Animal Pathology (2009). During 2006, he conducted research activity at the Department of Poultry science, Auburn University, Alabama and practical training at the State diagnostic laboratory of animal diseases, Auburn, Alabama, USA. From 2014 he obtained the degree of European Veterinary Specialist in Poultry Veterinary Science (EBVS specialist).
The research interests concern mainly diseases sustained by anaerobes and particularly: animal clostridiosis, intestinal spirochaetosis and botulism. Dr Bano participated to many studies focused on the antimicrobial resistance problem.
Currently Dr Bano is involved as partner in the European project ANIBOTNET and he participates as network partner to the project EUROBIOTOX.
Luca Bano is a veterinary pathologist with field and laboratory experience. He cooperates with both private and institutional stakeholders by directing diagnostic investigations and research projects. He has seventeen years’ experience in a state veterinary diagnostic laboratory with facilities for post-mortem examinations and laboratories for bacteriology, serology, parasitology and biotechnology. Dr Bano has daily practical experience in bacteriological techniques for the isolation and identification of the most significant animal pathogens, particularly anaerobes. He is member of the governmental delegation of experts for Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention.
- Bano, L., Tonon, E., Drigo, I., Pirazzini, M., Guolo, A., Farina, G., Agnoletti, F., Montecucco, C., 2018. Detection of Clostridium tetani Neurotoxins Inhibited In Vivo by Botulinum Antitoxin B: Potential for Misleading Mouse Test Results in Food Controls. Toxins 10, 248.
- Serroni A., Magistrali C. F., Pezzotti G., Bano L., Pellegrini M., Severi G., Di Pancrazio C., Luciani M., Tittarelli M., Tofani S., De Giuseppe A. 2017. Expression of deleted, atoxic atypical recombinant beta2 toxin in a baculovirus system and production of polyclonal and monoclonal antibodies. Microb Cell Fact, 16:94.
- Bano L., Drigo I., Tonon E., Pascoletti S., Puiatti C., Anniballi F., Auricchio B., Lista F, Montecucco C., Agnoletti F. 2017. Identification and characterization of Clostridium botulinum group III field strains by matrix-assisted laser desorption-ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF MS). Anaerobe 48:126-134.
- Peck M. W., Smith T. J., Anniballi F., Austin J. W., Bano L., Bradshaw M., Cuervo P., Cheng L. W, Derman Y., Dorner B. G, Fisher A., Hill K. K., Kalb S. R., Korkeala H, Lindström M., Lista F., Lúquez C., Mazuet C., Pirazzini M., Popoff M. R., Rossetto O., Rummel A., Sesardic D., Singh B. R. and Stringer S. C. (2017). Historical Perspectives and Guidelines for Botulinum Neurotoxin Subtype Nomenclature. Toxins 2017, 9(1), 38.
- Giovanardi D., Drigo I., De Vidi B., Agnoletti F., Viel L., Capello K., Berto G., Bano L. (2016). Molecular characterization of Clostridium perfringens strains isolated from diseased turkeys in Italy. Avian Pathology, 45(3): 376–380.
- Zornetta I., Azarnia Tehran D., Arrigoni G., Anniballi F., Bano L., Leka O., Zanotti G., Binz T., Montecucco C. (2016) The first non Clostridial botulinum-like toxin cleaves VAMP within the juxtamembrane domain. Scientific Reports 6:30257.
- Woudstra C., LeMaréchal C., Souillard R., Bayon-Auboyer M. H., Anniballi F., Auricchio B., De Medici D., Bano L., Koene M., Sansonetti M. H., Desoutter D., Hansbauer E. M., Dorner M. B., Dorner B. G., Fach P. 2015. Molecular gene profiling of Clostridium botulinum group III and their detection in naturally contaminated samples originating from various European countries. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. doi:10.1128/AEM.03915-14.
- Bano L., Drigo I., Tonon E., Berto G., Tavella A., Woudstra C., Capello K., Agnoletti F. (2015) Evidence for a natural humoral response in dairy cattle affected by persistent botulism sustained by non-chimeric type C strains. Anaerobe 36:25-29.
- Berto G., Agnoletti F., Drigo I., Tonon E., Vascellari M., Fracas V., Bano L. (2015) Clostridial co-infection episodes in commercial laying hens. Avian Pathol. 44(3):200-203.
- Magistrali, C., F.; Maresca, C.;Cucco, L.; Bano, L.; Drigo, I.; Filippini, G.; Dettori, A.; Broccatelli, S.; Pezzotti, G. (2015). Prevalence and risk factors associated with Clostridium difficile shedding in veal calves in Italy. Anaerobe. 33:42-47.