|Role||Director (ad interim)|
|Department||SCS1 – Risk analysis and public health surveillance|
|Phone||+39 049 8084305|
LIsa Barco is a veterinary officer. She is doctor in Veterinary medicine (2002, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Padova) and she holds a postgraduate certificate in “Breeding, hygiene and pathology of aquatic species and inspection of derived products” (2008, Faculty of Veterinary medicine, University of Padua).
Since December 2008, she has been veterinary officer at the OIE and national reference laboratory for Salmonellosis at IZSVe (permanent position). Since 2013, she has also been working as veterinary officer at the Official food control laboratory – SCS1 – Risk analysis and public health surveillance at IZSVe.
Since 2010, she has been working at the PhD programme at the Department of Veterinary disease biology, Faculty of Life sciences, University of Copenhagen, with a research study entitled “Source attribution of human salmonellosis caused by Salmonella Typhimurium and its monophasic variant S. 4,5,12:i:-”. She is involved in research projects on: development and validation of laboratory methods for the identification of foodborne pathogens; development of phenotypic and molecular methods for the subtyping of Salmonella and other foodborne pathogens; evaluation of the efficacy of non-pathogenic microorganisms as indicators of hygiene criteria for the slaughter process; identification of alternatives to antimicrobials to control animal diseases.
She is in charge of the management of the Official Food Control Laboratory – support to the Competent Local Authorities in relation to the regional programme for food control, evaluation and development of analytical methods (traditional bacteriology and molecular methods) to identify and characterize foodborne pathogens.
She collaborate within the OIE and national reference laboratory for Salmonellosis (support to national and international laboratories on different aspects related to typing and subtyping of Salmonella strains, organization and management of proficiency tests, development and standardization of new/alternative analytical methods, and dissemination of reference laboratory activities).
She is also responsable for the coordination of the quality management system for SCS1 – Risk analysis and public health surveillance laboratory.
- Barco L., Longo A., Lettini A.A., Cortini E., Saccardin C., Minorello C., Olsen J.E., Ricci A. Molecular characterization of “inconsistent” variants of S. Typhimurium isolated in Italy. Foodborne Pathog Dis 2014 in press.
- Barco L., Ramon E., Cortini E., Longo A., Dalla Pozza M.C., Lettini A.A., Dionisi A.M., Olsen J.E., Ricci A. Molecular characterization of Salmonella enterica servar 4,,12:i.- DT193 ASSuT strains from two outbreaks in Italy. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, 2014; 11: 138-144.
- Barco L, Belluco S, Roccato A, Ricci A. 2014. EXTERNAL SCIENTIFIC REPORT: Escherichia coli and Enterobacteriaceae counts on poultry carcasses along the slaughter processing line, factors influencing the counts and relationship between visual faecal contamination of carcasses and counts: a review. EFSA supporting publication 2014:EN-636 [serial online].
- Barco L, Belluco S, Roccato A, Ricci A. EXTERNAL SCIENTIFIC REPORT: Escherichia coli and Enterobacteriaceae counts on pig and ruminant carcasses along the slaughterline, factors influencing the counts and relationship between visual faecal contamination of carcasses and counts: a review. EFSA supporting publication 2014:EN-634 [serial online].
- Barco L., Barrucci F., Olsen J.E., Ricci A. Salmonella source attribution based on microbial subtyping. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 2013; 163: 193-203.
- Scavia G., Ciaravino G., Luzzi I., Lenglet A., Ricci A., Barco L., Pavan A., Zaffanella F., Dionisi A.M. A multi state epidemic outbreak of Salmonella Goldcoast infection in humans, June 2009 to March 2010: the investigation in Italy. Eurosurveillance, 2013; 18(11):pii=20424.
- Barco L., Mancin M., Ruffa M., Saccardin C., Minorello C., Zavagnin P., Lettini A.A. Olsen J.E., Ricci A. Application of random forest method to analyse epidemiological and phenotypical characteristics of Salmonella 4,,12:i- and Salmonella Typhimurium strains. Zoonoses and Public Health 2012; 59: 505-512.
- Barco L., Lettini A.A., Ramon E., Longo A., Saccardin C., Dalla Pozza M.C., Ricci A. A rapid and sensitive method to identify and differentiate Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium and Salmonella enterica serotype 4,,12:- by combining traditional serotyping and multiplex polymerase chain reaction. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, 2011; 8: 741-743.
- Barco L., Lettini A.A., Dalla Pozza M.C., Ramon E., Fasolato M., Ricci A. Fluoroquinolone resi stance detection in Campylobacter coli and Campylobacter jejuni by Luminex xMAPTM technology. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, 2010; 7: 1039-1045.
- Muhammad M., Muhammad L.U., Ambali A.-G., Mani A.U., Azard S., Barco L. Prevalence of Salmonella associated with chick mortality at hatching and their susceptibility to antimicrobial agents. Veterinary Microbiology, 2010; 140: 131-135.