|Department||SCS1 – Risk analysis and public health surveillance|
|Phone||+39 049 8084252|
Carmen Losasso is head of the Microbial Ecology Unit, SCS1 – Risk analysis and public health surveillance, Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale delle Venezie (IZSVe).
She graduated (1998) in Biology and defended her PhD in Biochemistry (2002) at the “La Sapienza” University of Rome, Italy. She held the specialization diploma in Food Science and Nutrition at the University of Padua (2009). From 2002 to 2009, she had a junior researcher position in Biochemistry and molecular biology at the Department of Biology, University of Padua. From 2009 to 2013, she worked as freelance before joining the IZSVe (2013).
She is involved in the following research activities: microbial ecology of foodborne pathogens particularly referring to Salmonella genus; microbial ecology of animal origin food chains, and adaptation of microorganisms to the environment with particular reference to the antibiotic-resistance phenomenon.
She is involved in the following activities and research projects:
- predicting Salmonella enterica pathogenic potential to enhance targeted control strategies;
- harmonization of Whole Genome Sequencing methods for Salmonella enterica molecular serotyping;
- assessment of the relationship between chickens’ gut microbiota and Campylobacter infection dynamic to promote new control strategies at farm level
- assessing the impact of diet on human gut microbiota and on the spread of antimicrobial resistance determinants
- metataxonomics of raw milk cheeses as a tool for modeling foodborne pathogens dynamics in raw milk cheeses
- impact of the use of antimicrobials in farm animals on the spread of antimicrobial resistance genes on the environment
- Losasso C., Di Cesare A., Mastrorilli E., Patuzzi I., Cibin V., Eckert EM, Fontaneto D., Vanzo A., Ricci A., Corno G. Assessing antibiotic resistance gene load in vegan, vegetarian and omnivore human gut microbiota. (2018) Journal of Antimicrobial Agents. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2018.07.023
- Di Cesare A., Petrin S., Fontaneto D., Losasso C., Eckert EM,, Tassistro G., Borello A., Ricci A., Wilson WH, Pruzzo C., Vezzulli L. (2018) ddPCR applied on archived Continuous Plankton Recorder samples reveals long‐term occurrence of class 1 integrons and a sulphonamide resistance gene in marine plankton communities. Environmental microbiology reports, 10(4):458-464. doi: 10.1111/1758-2229.12665
- Mastrorilli E., Pietrucci D., Barco L., Ammendola S., Petrin S., Longo A., Mantovani C., Battistoni A., Ricci A., Desideri A and Losasso C. (2018) A comparative genomic analysis provides novel insights into the ecological success of the monophasic Salmonella serovar 4,,12:i:- Front Microbiol, 9:715. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2018.00715
- Losasso C., Eckert E., Mastrorilli M., Villiger J., Mancin M., Patuzzi I., Di Cesare A., Cibin V., Barrucci F., Pernthaler J., Corno G. and Ricci A. (2018) Assessing the influence of vegan, vegetarian and omnivore oriented westernized dietary styles on human gut microbiota: a cross sectional study Front Microbiol,9:317
- Graziani C., Losasso C., Luzzi I., Ricci A., Scavia G., Pasquali P. (2017) “Salmonella” in Foodborne Diseases, Elsevier, 139-169
- Gallocchio F, Biancotto G, Cibin V, Losasso C, Belluco S, Peters R, van Bemmel G, Cascio C, Weigel S, Tromp S, Gobbo F, Catania S, Ricci A. (2017) Transfer Study of Silver Nanoparticles in Poultry Production. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 65, 3767-3774
- Belluco S., Gallocchio F., Losasso C., Ricci A. (2006) State of art of nanotechnology applications in the meat chain: a qualitative synthesis. CRITICAL REVIEWS IN FOOD SCIENCE AND NUTRITION, 13,1-13
- Conficoni D, Losasso C, Cortini E, Di Cesare A, Cibin V, Giaccone V, Corno G, Ricci A. (2016) Resistance to Biocides in Listeria monocytogenes Collected in Meat-Processing Environments. Front Microbiol. 19;7:1627
- Pezzuto A., Belluco S., Losasso C., Patuzzi I., Bordin P., Piovesana A., Comin D., Mioni R., Ricci A. (2016) Effectiveness of washing procedures in reducing Salmonella enterica and Listeria monocytogenes on a raw leafy green vegetable (Eruca vescicaria). Front Microbiol. 7:1663
- Di Cesare A., Losasso C., Barco L., Eckert EM., Conficoni D., Sarasini G., Corno G., Ricci A., (2016) Diverse distribution of Toxin-Antitoxin II systems in Salmonella enterica serovars. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS, 6