|Department||SCS3 – Diagnostics, Histopatology and Parassitology|
|Phone||+39 049 8084380|
Fabrizio Montarsi is currently executive biologist at the Laboratory of Parasitology (SCS3 – Diagnostics, Histopatology and Parassitology) at the IZSVe as responsible of the Vector Unit.
He graduated in Biology at the University “La Sapienza”of Rome (Italy) and obtained a specialization in Microbiology and Virology at the University of Padua (Italy) in 2012. He has been researcher at Parasitology of the IZSVe from 2005 to 2014 first as scholarship and then as consultant. He is member of the Italian Society of Parasitology (SOIPA) and Italian Association for Forensic Entomology (GIEF).
Fabrizio Montarsi’s research interests include medical and veterinary entomology focusing on arthropods vectors of pathogens as mosquitoes, ticks, sandflies, etc. He is currently involved in the monitoring and surveillance of vector-borne pathogens projects in north-eastern Italy. In addition, he is in charge of identification and management of arthropods pests of stored food. He is a consultant (with institutional role) as a forensic entomologist (mainly in the veterinary field).
Since 2009, he has been in charge of the entomological surveillance and identification of mosquitoes in regional and national plans for West Nile Disease. Since 2014 he has been undertaking monitoring of invasive mosquito species (Aedes albopictus Ae. koreicus and Ae. japonicus) for Lexem Project (2014-2017) funded by Province of Trento and regional plans (Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia Region). Since 2002, he has been in charge of the entomological surveillance and identification of Culicoides vectors of Bluetongue virus. In addition, he is currently involved in monitoring of ticks and sandflies for Local Health Unit projects and in projects of ECDC about mosquito control.
- Marini G, Rosà R, Pugliese A, Rizzoli A, Rizzo C, Russo F, Montarsi F, Capelli G. West Nile virus transmission and human infection risk in Veneto (Italy): a modelling analysis. Sci Rep. 2018 Sep 18;8(1):14005
- Trentini F, Poletti P, Baldacchino F, Drago A, Montarsi F, Capelli G, Rizzoli A, Rosà R, Rizzo C, Merler S, Melegaro A. The containment of potential outbreaks triggered by imported Chikungunya cases in Italy: a cost utility epidemiological assessment of vector control measures. Sci Rep. 2018 Jun 13;8(1):9034
- Guzzetta G, Poletti P, Montarsi F, Baldacchino F, Capelli G, Rizzoli A, Rosà R, Merler S. Assessing the potential risk of Zika virus epidemics in temperate areas with established Aedes albopictus populations. Euro Surveill. 2016 Apr 14;21(15)
- Ravagnan S, Tomassone L, Montarsi F, Krawczyk AI, Mastrorilli E, Sprong H, Milani A, Rossi L, Capelli G. First detection of Borrelia miyamotoi in Ixodes ricinus ticks from northern Italy. Parasit Vectors. 2018 Mar 20;11(1):130
- Montarsi F, Drago A, Martini S, Calzolari M, Defilippo F, Bianchi A, Mazzucato M, Ciocchetta S, Arnoldi D Baldacchino, Rizzoli A, Capelli. Current distribution of the invasive mosquito species, Aedes koreicus [Hulecoeteomyia koreica] in northern Italy. Parasits Vectors, 2015. 8(1):614
- Calzolari M, Pautasso A, Montarsi F, Albieri A, Bellini R, Bonilauri P, et al. West Nile Virus Surveillance in 2013 via Mosquito Screening in Northern Italy and the Influence of Weather on Virus Circulation. PLoS ONE, 2015. 10(10): e0140915
- Montarsi F, Ciocchetta S, Devine G, Ravagnan S, Mutinelli F, Frangipane di Regalbono A, Otranto D, Capelli G. Development of Dirofilaria immitis within the mosquito Aedes (Finlaya) koreicus, a new invasive species for Europe. Parasit Vectors, 2015. Mar 23;8:177
- Montarsi F, Mazzon L, Cazzin S, Ciocchetta S, Capelli G. Seasonal and Daily Activity Patterns of Mosquito (Diptera: Culicidae) Vectors of Pathogens in Northeastern Italy. J. Med. Entomol, 2015. 52(1): 56–62
- Otranto D, Dantas-Torres F, Giannelli A, Latrofa MS, Cascio A, Cazzin S, Ravagnan S, Montarsi F, Zanzani SA, Manfredi MT, Capelli G. Ticks infesting humans in Italy and associated pathogens. Parasit Vectors, 2014. Jul 14;7(1):328
- Signorini M, Drigo M, Marcer F, Frangipane di Regalbono A, Gasparini G, Montarsi F, Pietrobelli M, Cassini R. Comparative field study to evaluate the performance of three different traps for collecting sand flies in northeastern Italy. J Vect Ecol, 2013. 38(2): 374-378.