|Department||Specialistic Aquatic Animal Health Centre|
|Phone||+39 049 8084459|
Tobia Pretto is a veterinarian with a position of study, research and experimentation at the IZSVe in the framework of the National reference laboratory for fish, crustacean and molluscs diseases. He graduated in 2009 in Veterinary Medicine at the University of Padua and attended the specialization in “Farming, hygiene, pathology of aquatic species and control of derived products” (2013). At the University of Bologna he attained a PhD in veterinary science (2018).
He is currently involved in the development of vaccination protocols for Vibrio harveyi in sea bass (Interreg Italy-Croatia- AdriAquaNet), the use of innovative diagnostic techniques and drafting of monitoring plans for crayfish plague (A. astaci) (LIFE18 NAT/IT/000806). His research interests are mainly focused on the histopathology of aquatic organisms (fish, crustacean and molluscs) and diagnosis of mycotic and parasitic diseases in freshwater crayfish (Aphanomyces astaci and microsporidiosis). He is involved in pathology and microbiology of ornamental and farmed finfish species. He is also particularly interested in TEM and its use in the diagnosis of viral and parasitic diseases from clinical samples.
- Boukediouta R, Pretto T, Abbadi M, Biasini L, Toffan A, Mezali M. (2020). Viral encephalopathy and retinopathy is endemic in wild groupers (genus Epinephelus spp.) of the Algerian coast. Journal of Fish Diseases. 2020 May 27; 43 (7): 801-812 doi.org/10.1111/jfd.13181
- Davidovich N, Pretto T, Sharon G, Zilberg D, Blum S, Baider Z, Edery N, Morick D, Grossman R, Kaidar-Shwartz H, Dveyrin Z, Rorman E. (2020). Cutaneous appearance of mycobacteriosis caused by Mycobacterium marinum, affecting gilthead seabream (Sparus aurata) cultured in recirculating aquaculture systems. Aquaculture, 528, 2020, doi.org/10.1016/j.
- Gallocchio F, Biancotto G, Moressa A, Pascoli F, Pretto T, Toffan A, Arcangeli G, Montesi F, Peters R, Ricci A. (2020). Bioaccumulation and in vivo formation of titanium dioxide nanoparticles in edible mussels. Food Chemistry 2020, 323,126841 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2020.126841.
- Carella F, Antuofermo E, Farina S, Salati F, Mandas D., Prado P., Panarese R, Marino F., Fiocchi E., Pretto T. and De Vico G. (2020) In the Wake of the Ongoing Mass Mortality Events: Co-occurrence of Mycobacterium, Haplosporidium and Other Pathogens in Pinna nobilis Collected in Italy and Spain (Mediterranean Sea). Frontiers in Marine Science 7:48. doi: 10.3389/fmars.2020.00048
- Davidovich N, Pretto T, Blum SE, Baider Z, Grossman R, Kaidar-Shwartz H, Dveyrin Z, Rorman E. (2019). Mycobacterium gordonae infecting redclaw crayfish Cherax quadricarinatus. Dis Aquat Organ. 2019 Aug 8;135(2):169-174. doi: 10.3354/dao03392.
- Valencia JM, Grau A, Pretto T, Pons J, Jurado-Rivera JA, Castro JA, Toffan A, Catanese G. (2019). Viral encephalopathy and retinopathy (VER) disease in Epinephelus marginatus from the Balearic Islands marine protected areas. Dis Aquat Organ. 2019 Jun 27;135(1):49-58. doi: 10.3354/dao03378.
- Toffan A, De Salvador M, Scholz F, Pretto T, Buratin A, Rodger HD, Toson M, Cuenca A, Vendramin N. (2019) Lumpfish (Cyclopterus lumpus, Linnaeus) is susceptible to viral nervous necrosis: Result of an experimental infection with different genotypes of Betanodavirus. J Fish Dis. 2019 Oct 14. doi: 10.1111/jfd.13088.
- Minardi D, Studholme DJ, Oidtmann B, Pretto T, van der Giezen M. (2019) Improved method for genotyping the causative agent of crayfish plague (Aphanomyces astaci) based on mitochondrial DNA. Parasitology. 2019 Jul;146(8):1022-1029. doi: 10.1017/S0031182019000283. Epub 2019 Apr 12. PubMed PMID: 30975238.
- Pretto T., Montesi F., Ghia D., Berton V., Abbadi M., Gastaldelli M., Manfrin A. and Fea G. (2017). Ultrastructural and molecular characterization of Vairimorpha austropotamobii sp. nov. (Microsporidia: Burenellidae) and Thelohania contejeani (Microsporidia: Thelohaniidae), two parasites of the white-clawed crayfish, Austropotamobius pallipes complex (Decapoda: Astacidae). Journal of Invertebrate Pathology. 2017 Nov 6. pii: S0022-2011(17)30322-1. doi: 10.1016/j.jip.2017.11.002.
- Toffan A., Pascoli F., Pretto T., Panzarin V., Abbadi M., Buratin A., Quartesan R., Gijón D., Padrós F. (2017). Viral nervous necrosis in gilthead sea bream (Sparus aurata) caused by reassortant betanodavirus RGNNV/SJNNV: an emerging threat for Mediterranean aquaculture. Scientific Reports; 7: 46755. doi: 10.1038/srep46755.