|Role and Department||Veterinarian – SCS6 – Virology|
|Head – OIE Reference Laboratory for Viral Encephalopathy and Retinopathy|
|Phone||+39 049 8084333|
Anna Toffan is a veterinarian who is currently managing the Aquatic Animal Virology Unit hosted at the National Reference Centre for Fish, Molluscs and Crustacean Pathology. She graduated in Veterinary Medicine and attended the Doctoral school in Public Health and Comparative Pathology. She earned the specialization in “Breeding, hygiene, pathology of aquatic species and control of derived products.”
Her research interests are mainly focused on the diagnosis and control of viral diseases of salmonids (VHS, IHN, IPN) and marine species (VER/VNN). She is particularly focused on research into the pathogenesis of viral diseases and the development of safe and efficacious vaccines in the above-mentioned species.
In 2016 she was appointed OIE expert for the OIE Reference Laboratory for Viral Encephalopathy and Retinopathy located at the IZSVe. She also actively collaborates with the National Reference Centre for Avian Influenza and Newcastle Disease in the fight against viral bird diseases. She is also particularly interested in electron transmission microscopy and its use in the diagnosis of viral diseases from clinical samples.
Anna Toffan is involved in numerous national and international research projects, some of which are related to the study of the pathogenesis and characterization of viral encephaloretinopathy (RC IZSVe 07/10; RC IZSVe 05/11; RC IZSVE 02/14; RC IZSVE 09/15) and the development of vaccines to address this pathology (Targetfish project). Another area of interest is the study of viral diseases of salmonids, such as VHS, IHN and IPN (RC IZSVe 21/11; RC IZSVe 17/13; ERAnet ANIHWA-NOVIMARK) and of other fish species (RC IZSVE 07/14, RC IZSVE 08/15). Other projects involve the creation of monitoring networks, technological transfer and training (RC IZS PLV 16/10; INNOVAH20; VetBioNet).
She participates on a regular basis as technical expert to the EU-OIE Coordination Working Group to discuss the Animal Health Chapters of the Aquatic Code.
- Bedendo, G., Panzarin, V., Fortin, A., Zamperin, G., Pretto, T., Buratin, A., Quartesan, R., Sabbion, M., Salogni, C., Pascoli, F., & Toffan, A. (2018). Detection and characterization of a rhabdovirus causing mortality in black bullhead catfish, Ameiurus melas. Journal of Fish Diseases, The Authors. Journal of Fish Diseases Published by John Wiley & Sons LtdMar 23 doi:10.1111/jfd.12797 [doi]
- Pascoli F, Guazzo A, Buratin A, Toson M, Buonocore F, Scapigliati G, Toffan A. Lack of in vivo cross-protection of two different betanodavirus species RGNNV and SJNNV in European sea bass Dicentrachus labrax. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2017 Oct 19. pii: S1050-4648(17)30640-X. doi: 10.1016/j.fsi.2017.10.033
- Toffan A, Pascoli F, Pretto T, Panzarin V, Abbadi M, Buratin A, Quartesan R, Gijón D, Padrós F. Viral nervous necrosis in gilthead sea bream (Sparus aurata) caused by reassortant betanodavirus RGNNV/SJNNV: an emerging threat for Mediterranean aquaculture.Sci Rep. 2017 May 2;7:46755. doi: 10.1038/srep46755
- Panzarin V, Toffan A, Abbadi M, Buratin A, Mancin M, Braaen S, Olsen CM, Bargelloni L, Rimstad E, Cattoli G. Molecular Basis for Antigenic Diversity of Genus Betanodavirus. PLoS One. 2016 Jul 20;11(7):e0158814. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0158814. eCollection 2016
- Toffan, A., Panzarin, V., Toson, M., Cecchettin, K., & Pascoli, F. (2016). Water temperature affects pathogenicity of different betanodavirus genotypes in experimentally challenged Dicentrarchus labrax. 119, 231-238. Diseases of aquatic organisms, May 26 doi:10.3354/dao03003
- Pascoli, F., Serra, M., Toson, M., Pretto, T., & Toffan, A. (2016). Betanodavirus ability to infect juvenile European sea bass, Dicentrarchus labrax, at different water salinity. Journal of Fish Diseases, doi:10.1111/jfd.12440
- Abbadi, M., Fusaro, A., Ceolin, C., Casarotto, C., Quartesan, R., Dalla Pozza, M., Cattoli, G., Toffan, A., Holmes, E.C., & Panzarin, V. (2016). Molecular evolution and phylogeography of co-circulating IHNV and VHSV in Italy.7, 1306. Frontiers in Microbiology, Frontiers
- Bigarre, L., Lesne, M., Lautraite, A., Chesneau, V., Leroux, A., Jamin, M., Boitard, P.M., Toffan, A., Prearo, M., Labrut, S., & Daniel, P. (2016). Molecular identification of iridoviruses infecting various sturgeon species in Europe. Journal of Fish Diseases, doi:10.1111/jfd.12498
- Nuñez-Ortiz, N., Pascoli, F., Picchietti, S., Buonocore, F., Bernini, C., Toson, M., Scapigliati, G., & Toffan, A. (2016). A formalin-inactivated immunogen against viral encephalopathy and retinopathy (VER) disease in European sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax): immunological and protection effects.47, 89. Veterinary research
- Baud, M., Cabon, J., Salomoni, A., Toffan, A., Panzarin, V., & Bigarre, L. (2015). First generic one step real-time taqman RT-PCR targeting the RNA1 of betanodaviruses. Journal of Virological Methods, 211, 1-7.