|Structure||Bovine Pathology, Breeding and Welfare Specialist Centre
SCT3 – Padova, Vicenza and Rovigo
|Phone||+39 049 8084191 (office)
+39 340 6758331 (mobile)
Antonio Barberio, D.V.M., is the head of the Clinical diagnostic laboratory of the the SCT3 – Padova, Vicenza and Rovigo. He graduated in veterinary medicine at the University of Bologna (Italy) in 1989, in 1995 has attained the master of science in veterinary public health at the University of Parma (Italy), and the PhD in Veterinary Hygiene And Animal Pathology in 2016 at the University of Milano (Italy).
The ongoing research activities followed by Barberio are included in the activities of the Cattle Expertise Center, which provide service and research in the area of cattle pathology and management. The subjects of the main researches followed by Barberio are about the risk of antimicrobial resistance in cattle and the antibiotic stewardship in cattle farm. He is also involved in a project, in cooperation with the University of Padova, about the use of platelets enriched plasma to treat bovine mastitis. The cooperation with other research center includes, rather than the University of Padova, the University of Milano and Quality Milk Production Service at Cornell University.
Barberio has always be interested on dairy cattle pathology and milk quality, and has been involved in several research projects in the field of mastitis and cattle infectious diseases. He published more than 140 scientific and educational papers on Italian and international journals.
- Monistiero V., Barberio A., Biscarini F., Cremonesi P., Castiglioni B., Graber H.U., Bottini E., Ceballos-Marquez A., Kroemker V, Petzer I.M., Pollera C., Santisteban C., Veiga Dos Santos M., Bronzo V., Piccinini R., Re G., Cocchi M., Moroni P. (2020) Different distribution of antimicrobial resistance genes and virulence profiles of Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated from clinical mastitis in six countries. Journal of Dairy Science, 103:3431–3446.
- Barberio A., Mazzolini E., Dall’Ava B., Rosa G., Brunetta R., Zandonà L., Drigo I., Moschioni C., Guolo A., Bonamico S., Busa A., Segalin C., Biasio L., Moroni P., Agnoletti F. (2019) A longitudinal case study on the dissemination of ST398 methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus within a dairy cow herd. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, 20 DOI: 10.1089.
- Lora I., Gottardo F., Bonfanti L., Stefani A.L., Soranzo E., Dall’Ava B., Capello K., Martini M., Barberio A. (2019). Transfer of passive immunity in dairy calves: the effectiveness of providing a supplementary colostrum meal in addition to nursing from the dam. Animal, doi:10.1017/S1751731119000879
- Locatelli C., Cremonesi P., Caprioli A., Carfora V., Ianzano A., Barberio A., Morandi S., Casula A., Castiglioni B., Bronzo V., Moroni P. (2017) Occurrence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in dairy cattle herds, related swine farms, and humans in contact with herds. J. Dairy Sci.; vol 100, pag. 608-619.
- Barberio A., Flaminio B., De Vliegher S., Supré K., Kromker V., Garbarino C., Arrigoni N., Zanardi G., Bertocchi L, Gobbo F., Catania S., Moroni P. (2016) In vitro antimicrobial susceptibility of Mycoplasma bovis isolates identified in milk from dairy cattle in Belgium, Germany and Italy. Dairy Sci. vol 99, pag 6578-6584 http://dx.doi.org/10.3168/jds.2015-10572.
- Locatelli C., Cremonesi P., Bertocchi L., Zanoni M.G., Barberio A., Drigo I., Varisco G., Castiglioni B., Bronzo V., Moroni P. (2016) Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in bulk tank milk of dairy cows and effect of swine population density. J. Dairy Sci. vol 99, pag 2151-2156. http://dx.doi.org/10.3168/jds.2015-9940.
- Scaccabarozzi L., Leoni L., Ballarini A., Barberio A., Locatelli C., Casula A., Bronzo V., Pisoni G., Jousson O., Morandi S., Rapetti L., García-Fernández A., Moroni P. (2015) Pseudomonas aeruginosa in dairy goats: genotypic and phenotypic comparison of intramammary and environmental isolates. PLoS ONE 10 (11): e0142973 doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0142973.
- Ceglie L., Guerrini E., Rampazzo E., Barberio A., Tilburg J.J.H.C., Lucchese L., Zuliani F., Marangon S., Natale A. (2015) Molecular characterization by MLVA of Coxiella burnetii strains infecting dairy cows and goats of North-Eastern Italy. Microbes and Infection, 17 Issues 11–12, 776-781.
- Plumed-Ferrer C., Barberio A., Franklin R., Werner B., McDonough P., Bennett J., Gloria G., Rota N., Welcome F., Nydam D., Moroni P. (2015). Antimicrobial susceptibilities and RAPD-PCR fingerprint characterization of Lactococcus lactis lactis and Lactococcus garvieae isolated from bovine intramammary infection. J. Dairy Sci. 98:6216–6225. http://dx.doi.org/10.3168/jds.2015-9579.