|Department||SCS8 – Optimization and Control of Food Production|
|Phone||+39 0444 305457|
Simone Belluco is veterinary officer at the Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale delle Venezie, SCS8 – Optimization and control of food production. After the graduation in Veterinary Medicine (2009), he obtained the Diploma of specialization in Food inspection (2012) and the PhD in Veterinary science (2017).
From 2011 to 2016, he has been a researcher at IZSVe. From 2016 to 2018 he has been official veterinarian at ATS Brianza (Local Health Authority) and involved in the official control of food processing plant. Since October 2018, he is veterinary manager at IZSVe – Food technology laboratory (SCS8), and he is involved in the management of food analyses and in the consultancy about food safety topic.
During his career, he has worked on different research topics in the field of food safety. Particularly he worked on the legislative and hygienic aspects of edible insects, on the transmission of Toxoplasma gondii through food consumption, on nanotechnology applications in the food chain. During these activities, he had the opportunity to study and apply methodologies such as systematic review, meta-analysis and risk assessment to relevant food safety topics. He has been involved in the writing of several report for national and international authorities.
Currently his activities as a scientific manager for the Food technology laboratory (SCS8) regard consultancy and analyses for food processing plant with the aim of increasing the safety and quality of food production. He is involved in research about Novel food (edible insects) and scientific assessment of their safety. He works on the impact of innovative technologies on consumer safety, on risk assessment, and on systematic review methodology. Finally, he is involved in teaching activities and dissemination about the contents of ongoing activities.
- Belluco, S., Patuzzi, I., Ricci, A. (2018). Bovine meat versus pork in Toxoplasma gondii transmission in Italy: A quantitative risk assessment model. International journal of food microbiology, 269, 1-11
- Belluco S., Gallocchio F., Losasso C., Ricci A. (2017). State of art of nanotechnology applications in the meat chain: A qualitative synthesis. Critical reviews in food science and nutrition
- Belluco, S., Halloran, A., Ricci A. 2017. New protein sources and food legislation: the case of edible insects and EU law. Food security: 9(4), 803-814
- Belluco S., Simonato G., Mancin M., Pietrobelli M., Ricci A. (2017). Toxoplasma gondii infection and food consumption: A systematic review and meta-analysis of case-controlled studies. Critical review in food science and nutrition
- Belluco, S., Losasso, C., Rigo, L., Conficoni, D., Cibin, V., Segato, S., Catellani, P., Ricci, A., (2016). Silver nanoparticles as antibacterial towards Listeria monocytogenes. Front. Microbiol. 7
- Belluco, S., Barco, L., Roccato, A., Ricci, A., (2016). coli and Enterobacteriaceae counts on poultry carcasses along the slaughterline: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Food Control 60, 269–280
- Belluco, S., Mancin, M., Conficoni, D., Simonato, G., Pietrobelli, M., Ricci, A., (2016). Investigating the Determinants of Toxoplasma gondii Prevalence in Meat: A Systematic Review and Meta-Regression. PLoS One 11, e0153856
- Belluco, S., Barco, L., Roccato, A., & Ricci, A. (2015). Variability of Escherichia coli and Enterobacteriaceae counts on pig carcasses: a systematic review. Food Control
- Losasso C, Belluco S, Cibin V, Zavagnin P, Mivcetic Ivan, Gallocchio F, Zanella M, Bregoli L, Biancotto G, Ricci A. (2014). Antibacterial activity of silver nanoparticles: sensitivity of different salmonella serovars. Frontiers in microbiology, 4-227.
- Belluco S.,Losasso C.,Maggioletti M., Alonzi C. C., Paoletti M. G., Ricci A. (2013). Edible Insects in a Food Safety and Nutritional Perspective: A Critical Review. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety. vol 12:296-313.